PDA

View Full Version : SGI Indy

tuxsheadache
May 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I have a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Indy SGI Indy which I am about to throw in to a bin, as I am moving to a smaller place within next few months.

Anyone know any uses for it/interested in it to save it going to waste?

MaxIBoy
May 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I have no use for an SGI Indy, and I don't want to pay to have it shipped to California. But judging by how much I want it right now, you could probably find quite a few other people willing to take it off your hands.

Just from curiosity, what CPU/chipset is it using, and how much memory is it equipped with?

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Mine mine mine oh please. Where do I sign up and what do I need and does it come with instructions?

Would you feel better or worse if I suggested "Paperweight."??

Boat Anchor
Door Stop
Traffic Sign
Microwave Containment Zone
Oven

How about...

Restoration Candidate
Pretty Box
Server Unit
Trophy

Or...

SGI Indy
Is that what you want? Nostalgia.

I just wanna turn it on and see what happens. Is it Irix, or have you already ruined the original by wiping the os with debian or something?

tuxsheadache
May 19th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Mine mine mine oh please. Where do I sign up and what do I need and does it come with instructions?

Would you feel better or worse if I suggested "Paperweight."??

Boat Anchor
Door Stop
Traffic Sign
Microwave Containment Zone
Oven

How about...

Restoration Candidate
Pretty Box
Server Unit
Trophy

Or...

SGI Indy
Is that what you want? Nostalgia.

I just wanna turn it on and see what happens. Is it Irix, or have you already ruined the original by wiping the os with debian or something?

It does still have Irix, release 6.5 on it.

It has one 100Mhz R4600 processor, and a sporty 256MB of RAM, and a 1GB internal HDD. It also has an indycam, and a huuuge CRT. The Floptical drive however looks a bit past it...

It does boot up, however I am unable to log in as root, and only guest. It can play the original Doom.

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM
No, thanks. I'll get one on ebay or somethin'.

tuxsheadache
May 19th, 2010, 10:32 PM
No, thanks. I'll get one on ebay or somethin'.

I just did a search, there is one going for £20 at moment, good luck!

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks... man the things you can do with that junk. It's unbelievable what you can get for 20 pounds these days.

pwnst*r
May 19th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I have a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Indy SGI Indy which I am about to throw in to a bin, as I am moving to a smaller place within next few months.

Anyone know any uses for it/interested in it to save it going to waste?

Probably doesn't look as good as the photo on wiki, but is it in decent condition?

tuxsheadache
May 19th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Probably doesn't look as good as the photo on wiki, but is it in decent condition?

It is in pretty good condition! The Floptical drive is missing front face, not sure if it works, have nothing to test with... But otherwise from that it's as good as day it was built!

I want to sell on ebay/ give away, but I would have to remove HDD, as the person who last owned it may have important information on the root account, which could be frauded.

(Yes I turned fraud in to a vowel)

However if anyone else has one, and needs any parts (I hear the power supplies are not too reliable) everything else is working perfectly!

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 10:50 PM
It is in pretty good condition! The Floptical drive is missing front face, not sure if it works, have nothing to test with... But otherwise from that it's as good as day it was built!

I want to sell on ebay/ give away, but I would have to remove HDD, as the person who last owned it may have important information on the root account, which could be frauded.

(Yes I turned fraud in to a vowel)

However if anyone else has one, and needs any parts (I hear the power supplies are not too reliable) everything else is working perfectly!

Take care of that hard drive, please. Label and archive is what I would do. Shelf in the basement if the basement isn't damp. It's history. If you can find original owner, maybe offer a return... Whatever.

Lovely thread, this one.

The cool ones are the size of refrigerators.

tuxsheadache
May 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Take care of that hard drive, please. Label and archive is what I would do. Shelf in the basement if the basement isn't damp. It's history. If you can find original owner, maybe offer a return... Whatever.

Lovely thread, this one.

The cool ones are the size of refrigerators.

I normally keep HDDs, just because I am a bit of a hoarder, but mainly for info.

Also good for showing none geeks, to try and explain how old something is. People understand HDDs as they can relate it to mp3 player sizes, phone memory cards, cameras etc.

So bringing out a 3.5" HDD and saying "this has less space than your mobile phone does" normally surprises people.

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I normally keep HDDs, just because I am a bit of a hoarder, but mainly for info.

Also good for showing none geeks, to try and explain how old something is. People understand HDDs as they can relate it to mp3 player sizes, phone memory cards, cameras etc.

So bringing out a 3.5" HDD and saying "this has less space than your mobile phone does" normally surprises people.

Banned for <a moderate yet debilitating case of something...> I've ever ever heard of.

OK...

Reel to reel tape is cooler!

Shazaaam!

tuxsheadache
May 19th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Banned for the coolest collector's passion I've ever ever heard of.

OK...

Reel to reel tape is cooler!

Shazaaam!

I work with cartridges at work, not used reel to reel myself, not old enough!

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Oh right... typewriter keys.