PDA

View Full Version : MEPIS is switching from Debian as base system to Ubuntu

s|k
March 23rd, 2006, 12:37 AM
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6045116609.html

Maybe they'll help develop it. :)

dermotti
March 23rd, 2006, 12:41 AM
Awesome. I switched away from Mepis because of how horrible the etch repositories are, they kept breaking my system.

Good move Mepis.

towsonu2003
March 23rd, 2006, 01:24 AM
I'm hoping Debian will still get the support from MEPIS (& Ubuntu).

No debian = no ubuntu
and now, no ubuntu = no mepis

awakatanka
March 23rd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Its a kde based distro,maybe a lot of kubuntu users will switch to mepis because there kde developers have more resources to polish kde then kubuntu has.

Will watch it in the futere and will try it out.

bjweeks
March 23rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Watch somebody base a distro off mepis now...

TrailerTrash
March 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Its a kde based distro,maybe a lot of kubuntu users will switch to mepis because there kde developers have more resources to polish kde then kubuntu has.

LOL..I think Mepis is a one man operation.

bailout
March 23rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Interesting. I have never tried it but many people seem to speak highly of mepis. I think it will definitely be good to have some more work being done on the kde side of things. What is going to be the difference between mepis and kubuntu though if mepis is based on ubuntu kde packages?

jc87
March 23rd, 2006, 03:43 PM

More interesting would be if the Mepis & Ubuntu teams started working together to improve (X)(K)Ubuntu in general , maybe we would end up with Mupuntu , Ubetis , etc...

With no offense to anyone , but i personally think (is just an opinion) having 500+ distros is more than everyone will ever need , i´m not saying that we should just have one or two (after all Desktop , Servers , Desktop Enterprise , Begginers , Experienced Geeks , etc.. are all diferent groups) , but for example if 2 diferent distros have the same goals why not join forces and make even more stable and polished releases , joining the good stuff of both distros in one?

awakatanka
March 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
More interesting would be if the Mepis & Ubuntu teams started working together to improve (X)(K)Ubuntu in general , maybe we would end up with Mupuntu , Ubetis , etc...

With no offense to anyone , but i personally think (is just an opinion) having 500+ distros is more than everyone will ever need , i´m not saying that we should just have one or two (after all Desktop , Servers , Desktop Enterprise , Begginers , Experienced Geeks , etc.. are all diferent groups) , but for example if 2 diferent distros have the same goals why not join forces and make even more stable and polished releases , joining the good stuff of both distros in one?
Have been reading there forum a bit ( terrible layout hehe ) but some of there user base hate ubuntu, and there experince they had of ubuntu is bad, i myself can't image what the mean. Never had major problems. :mrgreen:

They have 1 founder but some people that help develope it, so it's not a 1 man distro. And there distro looks slick and there installer looks better then kubuntu.