PDA

View Full Version : Dell to acquire Alienware

mstlyevil
March 23rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
Dell will finally be offering AMD computers through Alienware. Looks like the rumors have all been true recently.

Dell to acquire Alienware (http://news.com.com/Dell+to+acquire+Alienware/2100-1003_3-6052842.html?tag=nefd.top)

Dell has agreed to purchase gaming PC maker Alienware, in a rare acquisition designed to improve Alienware's supply chain and boost Dell's standing among PC enthusiasts.

The deal also could mean that Dell has to rethink its consumer PC strategy, said Roger Kay, principal analyst with Endpoint Technologies Associates. The company has sunk a lot of effort into building its XPS lineup of high-end desktops and notebooks for gamers and multimedia enthusiasts. Now, it looks like those systems compete with Alienware in certain areas, he said.

Alienware sells very powerful and very expensive PCs to the top tier of the gaming market. Dell, on the other hand, has a stronger identity with casual gamers who want a good PC but don't want to pay Alienware prices. Both companies have recently tried to appeal to gamers that fall in between those two groups, with Alienware reaching down and Dell reaching up, Kay said. It's unclear how those strategies will continue.

BWF89
March 23rd, 2006, 12:39 AM
I didnt' read the full linked article but won't this mean that Alienware will have to convert to Intel processors?

mstlyevil
March 23rd, 2006, 12:41 AM
I didnt' read the full linked article but won't this mean that Alienware will have to convert to Intel processors?

No, they will still use AMD processors. Alenware will still be run as a seperate division and by the same people. It is in the article about the details.

taurus
March 23rd, 2006, 12:46 AM
I think games run much better on AMD than Intel so if they want to sell their machines to some serious gamers, they need to stick with AMD chips, period.

Kvark
March 23rd, 2006, 01:02 AM
Lol, thats a funny one.

If they want to sell their machines to some serious gamers, they need to not be Dell, period.

I mean... "Whats the most serious hardcore gaming machines out there?", "Dell's Alienware product line."... naaah, that sounds about as hardcore as "AOL boardband".

Note: Nothing against Dell, they are good for grandma and many others.

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2006, 01:21 AM
Lol, thats a funny one.

If they want to sell their machines to some serious gamers, they need to not be Dell, period.

I mean... "Whats the most serious hardcore gaming machines out there?", "Dell's Alienware product line."... naaah, that sounds about as hardcore as "AOL boardband".

I would imagine that Dell would not tag their name to it.If they are wise they wont. And keep the staff seperate too.

majikstreet
March 23rd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Well I guess when I have money I'm not going to buy from alienware now..

damn.. I hate dell !

mstlyevil
March 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM
Well I guess when I have money I'm not going to buy from alienware now..

damn.. I hate dell !

You can build it a lot cheaper than buying it from Alienware. Alienware is for people who have money to throw away.

majikstreet
March 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM
You can build it a lot cheaper than buying it from Alienware. Alienware is for people who have money to throw away.
I guess but one day hopefully I'll have money to throw away :D

taurus
March 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Lol, thats a funny one.

Well, when HP bought out Compaq, you didn't see HP's Compaq computers! You still see HP and Compaq although they both look a lot alike...

Master Shake
March 23rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Only thing I have against Dell is the outsourced support.. My machine has run fine for several years now.

woedend
March 23rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Only thing I have against Dell is the outsourced support.. My machine has run fine for several years now.

great! I always do the same if I can find an American supported counterpart. The biggest reason I will never buy from microsoft again(xbox support was in china and very rude to me). Nothing PO's me more than an American company, making most of their money off Americans, outsource their support(ahem, microsoft), to people that we can barely understand.