PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External Monitor - Acer X223w Display (No-sleep!)

A4orce84
May 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hey Everyone,

I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop and finally got everything working ! (My network card would never work in 8.04 / 8.10, no matter how many DIYs and tweaks I did, so I was very surprised everything worked OOTB with 10.04!)

Anyway, everything works except my Acer X223W refuses to go to sleep (standby-mode) after 10 mins....even though I configured it to do so in the power management options.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT graphics card running the "NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver."

I leave my computer on a lot, so I was surprised my screen-saver was still running this morning and the monitor was not in sleep mode.

Anyone know what things to try and get this working?

Thanks in advance!

--Asif

cj.surrusco
May 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
System>Preferences>Power Management

That should bring up a window with the option to set a sleep timer for the monitor.

A4orce84
May 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Tried that, no change. =(

A4orce84
May 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM
bump

A4orce84
May 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM
bump

A4orce84
May 20th, 2010, 06:53 PM
bump

A4orce84
May 20th, 2010, 11:21 PM
no one huh?

cj.surrusco
May 21st, 2010, 02:21 AM
Check the nvidia driver settings. There might be an option in there.

A4orce84
June 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Did not fix the issue unfortunately.

Anyone else have any tips? =(

Thanks!

--Asif

PGHammer
June 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Did not fix the issue unfortunately.

Anyone else have any tips? =(

Thanks!

--Asif

It is definitely a display-driver issue; not one with the display itself.

I have the bigger brother of your display (Acer H233H.bmid; the twenty-three-inch model with HDMI support) and my Mom has the even larger H243H; neither has issues with sleep modes in terms of the display (my display properly shuts down after five minutes, which is Lucid's default setting).

A4orce84
June 29th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Is there a way I can try a different Acer monitor driver?

PGHammer
June 30th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Is there a way I can try a different Acer monitor driver?

Linux distributions have never used drivers for displays; X (first in XFree86, then X.org) used first settings in the respective configuration file (now /etc/X11/xorg.conf) then, if those were absent (some distributions, such as Fedora, no longer use this file at all) run an autodetection regime similar to that used by Windows (which, in only rare cases, normally doesn't use drivers for displays, either).

The default settings are passed to the OS in question via a VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association) standard method called EDID (Electronic Data Interchange for Displays). While it was originally developed for CRT displays for computers, it has spread far (and wide!) beyond that connection to make its way into home-entertainment devices in general; also, while EDID was originally analog in nature, it can also be sent digitally (digital-only connections, such as DVI-I and HDMI, remain capable of passing along EDID information). What EDID data 'buntu (or any OS that uses X) snags on bootup will be found in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, which makes this file important when it comes to troubleshooting display woes (the EDID data will be in roughly the middle of this log file, and will be in human-readable format). Because this is information that Windows does *not* capture in human-readable format, someone that dual-boots Linux with Windows can find out more (often from this one log file) than a strictly Windows user would.

cbetts
June 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I have been having a similar issue. Running HP2035 monitors (TwinView) connected with an nVidia Quadro FX 560 card. Found these lines in my Xorg log:

(WW) Jun 07 07:15:15 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
(WW) Jun 07 07:15:15 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-1

May be on to something here . . .

A4orce84
July 8th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Anyone have any new updates? I would really prefer if my monitor went to sleep instead of displaying the screen saver all night. =)

A4orce84
August 21st, 2010, 05:02 PM
bump

adam2007
May 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM
bump

same problem here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1402436
with a little more technical detail and a workaround script which I haven't tried.

there's an official bug report that still hasn't been resolved: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/550054
but evidently the script is supposed to work

cheers