PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Really, when to upgrade?

hipogrito
May 19th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I use Ubuntu and it's great. I had Windows Vista in the same computer but I wasn't using it at all as most of the things I need work very well in Ubuntu (well done!). By the way, I am also a Software engineer with some experience "releasing" software.

My experience with updating, in general, not only Ubuntu, but most of the software out there, is that upgrading is necessary but it's better to wait for the update.1 release which normally fixes the typical unexpected bugs of any release.

For example: From Ubuntu 9.4 to Ubuntu 9.10, I upgraded the first week of the release, and, ooops, my USB to serial port stopped working and I need that to work on the computer. After few weeks of posts in here and in other places, a new Kernel was released that fixed the problem.

Now, I want to update from 9.10, to 10.4, of course, but I'd like to wait for that stable release/fix from the original 10.4 release, as I learnt my lesson (for the nth time :) ).

The question is: Do we have a date for a relatively major fix release of the unexpected issues of 10.4? a new kernel release?

Thank you very much and keep doing such an excellent work!

Regards,
Fran

colintivy
May 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Hi!
What a pertinet comment. It seems to me that far too many folk want to grab every update when or even before it is out of beta. Reading most posts tells me that there is a lot of aggro that could be avoided if a little patience was used even after the first final version hits the streets.

I am not rushing to get 10.04 on the box right now!!

colintivy

CeeVee777
May 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I have several essential software applications that I always check on a test system before I do an upgrade to my main machines.
The list includes
XBMC
Handbrake
MeTV
OGMRip
MySql + tools
Nvidia drivers
ATI drivers
Wine
VirtualBox
DVDFab6
I'm currently waiting for the next release of Handbrake before upgrading to 10.04

bumanie
May 19th, 2010, 05:48 PM
10.04 is slated to have an update to 10.04.1 in July - not sure of the exact date off the top of my head. Probably near the end of the month as most releases are, I guess.

chiwi
May 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I'm one of those guys who update the packages as soon as they are out. Don't ask me why, I just do.

However when it comes to releases, I try to wait at least a couple of weeks for the major bugs to be fixed.

In my opinion, it's better to upgrade releases from scratch (for that you'd need to have your HD correctly partitioned so you don't wipe out /home) rather than doing a 'dist-upgrade'. It's a little bit of more work though.

hipogrito
May 20th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hi,

Thank you all for your tips and info.

And I totally support to update sooner rather than later in non/work computers, that way we help also in the debugging of the distro, but for work units, better be prudent. I guess I'll be upgrading in July.

Kind regards,
Fran

JohnAStebbins
May 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have several essential software applications that I always check on a test system before I do an upgrade to my main machines.
The list includes
XBMC
Handbrake
MeTV
OGMRip
MySql + tools
Nvidia drivers
ATI drivers
Wine
VirtualBox
DVDFab6
I'm currently waiting for the next release of Handbrake before upgrading to 10.04

You may be waiting a long time. HandBrake's release schedule isn't known for it's frequency. You should consider using the nightly snapshots till an official release comes out.
https://edge.launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive/handbrake-snapshots