PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Repair" with Raid md mounts

Kleenux
May 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I must say, my Ubuntu 10.04 is pretty messed up:

after trying whatever possible to get a sound card working (recompile alsa, adding modules, change configs at many places, playing with /proc/* etc...), and then remove that sound card, the system is pretty unstable:

- when the sound plays (from motherboard), it happens frequently that the application (Firefox, Totem etc...) just does a seg fault and disappears from the radars.
- much scarier: I did some downloads with FF (after playing some sounds) and the CRC of the .gz / .tar was wrong! Opera also crashes now at times.

=> my idea was to reinstall *only* the system then applying the updates again.

But most of the mounts are Raid 1 (MD), and the install menu (partitions) does not read the previous /etc/fstab. I guess it won't re-partition, but it may affect one of the 2 FS (combined to make 1 MD), then the raid is lost for that partition.

Any suggestions on the best way to recover the system with MD partitions?
Thanks.

Kleenux
May 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Oh I had to give an update on that (since you were all waiting)

The problem was actually a RAM problem.

Bought some cheap 4 Gigs (to get to 8G) and memtest86 confirmed that 25% of the RAM was faulty, ie one of the two new/cheap memory modules.
This was not an easy one, especially since the module was representing the high memory range :-(