PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot OS X and Ubuntu 10.04--black screen after yaboot--still hear drum sound????

G33shooter
May 19th, 2010, 06:22 AM
So, I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my powerbook G4 PPC laptop. I shrank my OS X partition and told Ubuntu to install in the largest continuous free space (20GB.) Everything seemed to work fine. Installation finished and rebooted just fine. Yaboot ran and I chose to log into Ubuntu. Logged in--everything was great. Then Ubuntu said I had a driver update (for the broadcom driver b45 I believe.) Installed that and rebooted again. Yaboot came up and I told the comp to log into Ubuntu. This time, however, instead of seeing the Ubuntu page with loading white and read dots, it just was a black screen with white text that read, "Ubuntu 10.04" in the center--then the text quickly 'sliced' into like ten pieces and shot across the screen in a quick milisecond and the screen turned black. A second later I heard the 'drum' sound (what you hear before you log into your account.) I pressed buttons, used the trackpad, nothing--not text, no more sound, nothing. I had to hold down and power down the computer. upon starting up, yaboot loads fine, I can log into OS X just fine (that's what I am using now) but everytime I tell the comp to log into linux now, I get the "Ubuntu 10.04" text and then a flash to black screen, sometimes a drum noise, and nothing more.

Any ideas??

Paran0id Andr0id
May 25th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I am having the same issue.

the screen will remain black but lit even if you do not activate the broadcomm drivers for the wireless

Paran0id Andr0id
May 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
downgrade to jaunty jackalope 9.04. I tried 10.04 and couldn't get it to work but used 9.04 and it appears to work with out any problems.