PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Display Fading

icarus40
May 19th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hello, I'm just learning to set up ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell 410XPS, and have one question which I haven't been able to answer with the on-system documentation, or searches of the web or these forums -- sorry, I'm sure it's an old question, I just must not be using the correct search terms ...

I'm running a Dell 2407 with an nVidia 7600GT card, and with "never" set for putting the monitor to sleep it likes to fade to black every ten minutes or so without user interaction, such as when playing video files. Can someone direct me to the setting for this? Thanks.

wojox
May 19th, 2010, 06:13 PM
That's weird. Even when watching a video it fades huh? Try looking in your Screensaver Preferences and check when it regards the computer as idle.

icarus40
May 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Ha! Bingo, wojox -- I'd not even thought of that, as there was no screen activity -- hadn't realized that ubuntu has a screensaver "visualization" option of BLANK! That's what it was on by default. Thanks!

zach.detton
May 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
You should also check System> Preferences> Power Management> Then the "On AC Power" tab there is a check box that says "Dim Display When Idle". Make sure that it's not checked either. I was having that problem when watching video as well. It was fine after I unchecked it though.

icarus40
May 20th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks zach, I appreciate your reply even after a likely cause had been found, I would not have known ubuntu well enough to have caught that -- and already thinking that I'd found the fix, I'll have you to thank for keeping me from going nuts if it returns!

callmebeibei
May 20th, 2010, 03:32 AM
You should also check System> Preferences> Power Management> Then the "On AC Power" tab there is a check box that says "Dim Display When Idle". Make sure that it's not checked either. I was having that problem when watching video as well. It was fine after I unchecked it though.

I do agree with u ,