PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trying out KDE - Nothing Works

monkat
May 19th, 2010, 03:50 AM
G'day mates!

Tonight, I decided to try out KDE, just for giggles, and to see if the grass was any greener. As the topic implies, there were some issues.

I just went to the Ubuntu Software Center, installed Kubuntu Plasma Desktop System, logged out (and restarted), and selected KDE when I was logging in.

Everything goes fine up until that point, where my Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g wireless seems to not work. I think that was just how I was seeing it at the time, because it was able to show a map of all of the nearby access points. However, it could not connect to my home network. Or would not. It did not give an error message or even look like it was attempting to connect, but as I have no experience in KDE I don't even know what graphical things to look for.

Needless to say, that was a pretty setback, but then I try Amarok, just because I always hear people raving about it and it seems like a good way to at least experience the UI a little bit. Unfortunately, no file will play, and it will just go down the list, saying that there were too many errors and playback was ended.

(As a side note, I might add that Amarok also would not work while I was working under the GNOME environment. Everything non-kde-related works fine under GNOME)

Well, that's all I got. Any suggestions?

----Sorry Guys---

I just needed to install restricted extras. I would think that a network manager isn't really an extra, but to each their own!