PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need some installation advice

humorse_42
May 18th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hey everyone, I am new to ubuntu and so far i love it. I have 10.04 installed inside windows vista and everything is working smoothly. Are there and problems related with the hardware of an acer aspire 5517 and ubuntu. Would making ubuntu the only OS on my machine be a smart move or should i stick with what i am doing?

hansdown
May 18th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the forum humorse_42.

If you are dual booting, or running ubuntu via wubi, or virtual install, you can have the best of both worlds.

I've included a link to help you decide what you would like to do.

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=acer+aspire+5517+with+ubuntu+10.04&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

darkod
May 19th, 2010, 12:03 AM
There are conflicting views, but I still think having a full dual boot, on separate partitions, has better performance than wubi. Also, even the wubi developer has confirmed it was never meant to be a long term solution, just a quick way to try ubuntu without partitioning your disk.

Some issues sometimes occur with wubi that wouldn't exist in ubuntu because of that.

So, since you are happy with it, I would consider deinstalling wubi from Programs, and making a proper dual boot.

Having said that, if you completely want to replace windows with ubuntu, I guess only you can decide that for yourself. If it has everything you need, having it as only OS is a perfect solution I guess.

humorse_42
May 19th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Thank you both for your advice. Please remember that i am new, so with that being said. I dont know what wubi is. And as knowledgeable are you guys are, is this something you would do? I am only asking because i am cuirous. Thanks again

darkod
May 19th, 2010, 12:33 AM
What you have, ubuntu installed inside windows, is called wubi short. The file you execute to start installing it was called wubi.exe right?

The short name is coming from Windows UBuntu Installer. WUBI.

humorse_42
May 19th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Oh alright. thank you

hansdown
May 19th, 2010, 01:07 AM
If you would like to dual boo ubuntu with vista, read this.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Ubuntu tends to run better with it's own partition.