PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu not starting after update

derrickzeel
May 18th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Hi, I'm not a techie at all but a computer newbie. I would like to recover my data and go back to Windows, I realize this Ubuntu is not for everyone.
I recently got a message to update something in the system, after installing it I couldn't initiate the system again. I got the message:
GNU GRUB version 1.97~1.97beta4
[ Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported ... sh:grub>
I tried some steps I found in the forum, but nothing works. The true is that I'm totally lost within the command line.
Anyone to give me a step by step procedure to recover access to my data please?
Thank you in advance for your patience.
DZ

wilee-nilee
May 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Hi, I'm not a techie at all but a computer newbie. I would like to recover my data and go back to Windows, I realize this Ubuntu is not for everyone.
I recently got a message to update something in the system, after installing it I couldn't initiate the system again. I got the message:
GNU GRUB version 1.97~1.97beta4
[ Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported ... sh:grub>
I tried some steps I found in the forum, but nothing works. The true is that I'm totally lost within the command line.
Anyone to give me a step by step procedure to recover access to my data please?
Thank you in advance for your patience.
DZ

You may have everything still there and that it can be fixed and or recovered, so post this script. Read this carefully post the script read out in code tags, by highlighting the text in the reply window and clicking on the # in the reply panel.
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
I would avoid any more fixes at this point if you want to get it the way you want.

So additional information will help besides the script, do you have the install disk for W7 or was this a OEM? Also a description of what is going on now when you boot; can you get into a operating system at all?