PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Instal another UBUNTU without loosing data

nikitas
May 18th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hello everyone! I use UBUNTU 9.10 (karmik). But I am totally disappointed!!! Everything is too slow! I want to install UBUNTU ULTIMATE 2.0. Can I do that without loosing any data? (music, movies, etc) Do I have to store my data in another HDD? Please help!!! Thank you!

ajgreeny
May 18th, 2010, 09:50 PM
The chances are that any ubuntu will also be slow if 9.10 was. The real question has to be, "why was ubuntu 9.10 so very slow for you?"

As for your question about loosing data;

1. Always back up everything in home before doing a new install just in case.

2. Do you have a separate /home partition?

3. If you do have separate /home, you can leave it as your /home partition in the new install by choosing manual partitioning, but just make sure that the box is not selected for "format" when you get to the partitioning page, before install.

4. If you do not have separate /home, you must backup all your /home, which I have said already, but can not over-emphasize. Then install, then copy back all your /home contents.

5. Consider a separate /home this time if not already doing things that way. Have a good read through this webpage for details. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome

nikitas
May 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
The problems with my pc started after I updated my UBUNTU to 9.10. Before that everything was just fine! Anyway, thank you for your help with the "loosing data". That's exactly what I need!