PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] window buttons on the left

sgerdan
May 18th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I can put them on the right using gconf-editor. But every time I change theme, it goes back to the left. It's annoying. Is there a way to fix them permanently to the right?

sgerdan
May 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hey, I just figured out a way. Change it to the right, then save a new theme in appearance settings. Sorry for the dumb question :)

lisati
May 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hey, I just figured out a way. Change it to the right, then save a new theme in appearance settings. Sorry for the dumb question :)

No, it wasn't a silly question. It's good to hear that you found a solution - thank you for sharing it.

sgerdan
May 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks. Actually, what I proposed above as a solution may not be working. A better solution is to go to gconf-editor and change the value of button_layout to the desired setting and make it permanent by clicking "Set as Mandatory" in the right click menu.

u-slayer
May 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
You can fix it with 1 line in the terminal:

gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type string “menu:minimize,maximize,close”

arma0012
May 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I followed the terminal advice, which worked, however now my close button has disappeared. Little help?

Cheers,
Sam

arma0012
June 11th, 2010, 02:50 AM
If anyone is trying this, be sure to add a comma following 'close' in the terminal script provided by g-slayer. This solves the lost close button problem I encountered.

Cheers,
Sam