PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching diaspora ?

samalex
May 18th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I've been reading-up on diaspora (http://joindiaspora.com) and it looks like a sweet and ambitious project though I think it's still vaporware thus far. Also unless they make it more accessible to non-technical folks or people who don't have the capability or skill to maintain a server at home or elsewhere I think this'll remain a geeks-only app. I'm fine with that since most of my friends are techie, but I'd love to see something like this take off for the average joe since there's so much security blahness around Facebook.

Sam

Wiebelhaus
May 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Hey! We , all of us will make it easier... That's the point it's FOSS so we can do anything with it.

P.S , I'm right down the street from Waco! Cheers.

gnomeuser
May 18th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I pledged 25$ towards the project. I have a Facebook account but frankly the increasing uselessness of Facebook in general and the privacy policy has caused me to largely abandon my account. I will delete it once I am sure everyones contact information is updated, I figure a 3 month grace period will be sufficient.

If I ever do join another social network, Diaspora* is a very likely candidate.

samalex
May 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hey! We , all of us will make it easier... That's the point it's FOSS so we can do anything with it.

Very true...

P.S , I'm right down the street from Waco! Cheers.

Awesomeness! I love Austin, and we get down there at least once a month to visit friends. We even considered moving down there to the Pflugerville/Georgetown/Leander area for a while, but we have good jobs and LOTS of family/friends in Waco so it'd be hard to leave.

Not to go OT, but did you make it to the Texas Linux Fest (http://texaslinuxfest.org/) last month? A few folks from our LUG went, but I just couldn't break away.

See ya --

Sam

JDShu
May 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I pledged 25$ towards the project. I have a Facebook account but frankly the increasing uselessness of Facebook in general and the privacy policy has caused me to largely abandon my account. I will delete it once I am sure everyones contact information is updated, I figure a 3 month grace period will be sufficient.

If I ever do join another social network, Diaspora* is a very likely candidate.

Amen.

Actually I went ahead and deleted it already, or at least, its pending deletion for the next two weeks.