PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Active / Inactive Window Selection

zami
May 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure what terms to use to ask if this is possible. I can just describe the behavior I see, and the behavior I want.

When I'm typing/working in one window, and another program pops open a new window, I want it to open BEHIND the window I'm working in.

For example, if I'm typing in this thread box in Firefox, when the Update Manager is finished updating, I don't want the "all done" box to pop up and become the active window.

I get so angry when I hit "return" and shut-down or activate something I don't mean to because it's popped up in front of my working space!

Is there a name for behavior of programs making themselves the active window? Is it a behavior I can change?

Ubuntu 10.04
Gnome 2.3
No desktop effects, and running metacity I think? (Whatever is default - I've changed nothing from a fresh Lucid install)

-zami

dag.stromsvag
November 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I have the same problem. I do a lot of simulations in Matlab, and like to have them in their own panel. when Matlab plots results in pops up in a graph-window, which then is shown in the panel I am working in. Very annoying,

What I have found that helps is to turn of visual effects, and minimise everything in the panel that Matlab is running in...

Just realized that it is not the same problem as you have, but anyway...