PDA

View Full Version : Just Got EeePc1000HG - Any Issues with 10.04?

nictu
May 18th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hi Folks,

I just got myself an EeePc 1000HG. Haven't used it yet as it's on charge. But, it has XP pre-loaded and I would like to install Ubuntu 10.04 for netbooks and I have a couple of questions at this time.

Firstly, as this version of EeePc has WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G built in, will ubuntu 10.04 support these functions?

Secondly, does any body know of any problems with ubuntu and the 1000HG?

Thirdly, I'd like to keep XP on there for a while, so, is it possible to have a menu appear on bootup to allow me to select which O/S I want to use?

Help and Advice really is much appreciated, I really don't want to screw up a new machine.
Many Thanks,
Nictu.

TunaCanTommy
May 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hi nictu, welcome to Ubuntu. You'll get plenty of help here on the forums. Just read and take notes and don't jump in until you feel confident in what you're doing. I have 10.04 UNE running on an ASUS EeePC 701. Not dual booting with Windows on it though. I have a desktop I dual-boot with windows xp and 10.04.

On your netbook, good idea to keep WinXP installed for a while, in case you want to update drivers, BIOS or other things the Ubuntu doesn't yet support. You'll like using linux, I am - especially the netbook version of 10.04. No problem on mine with web-cam and wireless, don't have blue-tooth or 3G on mine so I can't say. Just search the forums for info about these two on the EeePC.

When you do decide to load Ubuntu be very careful and follow the instructions in the Ubuntu.com documentation and in these forums - lots of help and direction. Not likely you'll break anything but be careful and finally make sure you understand GRUB and how it works in a dual-boot circumstance.

Have fun and stay in touch . . .

alawson
June 1st, 2010, 06:25 AM
I had some problems with the 3g modem...
See this thread;
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1467991

Never did reach a solution. Let me know how you go!