PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire One ZG5

Ddc2003
May 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hello, I have been reading the forums for a few days and had a question. I want to install Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire One ZG5, but I'm confused. I have never used this Operating Systen before, but form what I hear about it I really want it. I need help figuring which version would be best. Also, I need to make sure everything, including the webcam and the wireless internet will work. Thanks in advance.

anglican
May 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hello, I have been reading the forums for a few days and had a question. I want to install Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire One ZG5, but I'm confused. I have never used this Operating Systen before, but form what I hear about it I really want it. I need help figuring which version would be best. Also, I need to make sure everything, including the webcam and the wireless internet will work. Thanks in advance.
I'm using xubuntu 10.04 on my ZG5. Everything is working perfectly.

H

Zarea
July 26th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Anglican,

I am running Netbook Remix on my ZG5, headphone jack works, USB speakers work, if switched manually in the preferences. Small speakers on laptop bottom don't have sound. Did you have to do anything special to trigger them to work?

Thanks!
Z.

PaulReaver
July 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Anglican,

I am running Netbook Remix on my ZG5, headphone jack works, USB speakers work, if switched manually in the preferences. Small speakers on laptop bottom don't have sound. Did you have to do anything special to trigger them to work?

Thanks!
Z.
check your mixer settings.
my speakers were turned down in the mixer by default.

Zarea
July 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the reply, It's good, and sound works great in all other fashions. It's the only booger this little machine has. Well, also it won't recognize the SD card without a restart, which is a shame. Otherwise, it's A+.
Z.

PaulReaver
July 26th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Zarea,
I'm all out of ideas.. sorry?
my acer has similar hardware, worked for me?

Ddc2003:
I would have recommended the desktop version of ubuntu lucid.
I find the netbook interface too fussy, I don't like the way maximus maximises everything.

but... If the speakers don't work?

best to test your hardware with a live cd.

Zarea
July 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks Paul!! Yeah, it all checks out, who knows, maybe the speakers are bad, but it seems odd. I did the UNR to try it out. At least you can access the back end items. It works well considering the specs. Great little lappy. Gets well used. No one believes it isn't XP... I suppose I can take it apart again and try the speakers on a bench. Best regards, Z.

Wiid
July 26th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I have a Acer Aspire one netbook.. And I have the Ubuntu 10.4 Netbook edition.

wrightbyname
October 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Zarea, did you find a fix for this? Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I also have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 and I have the same problem. This is the only reference I have found to it on the web after a long search.

My ZG5 shipped with Windows XP and the speakers worked fine. When the awful SSD broke I replaced it with a CompactFlash card and installed UNR 10.04. The speakers did not work under Ubuntu; it may be because I broke or disconnected something when I was replacing the SSD, but it's unlikely. I have recently installed UNR 10.10 (fresh install) with the same results.

PaulReaver - all I see in the mixer settings (Sound Preferences -> Output) is 'Internal Audio Analog Stereo'. I assume this is the headphone socket and I see no option for the speakers. I only have the built-in sound (HDA-Intel - Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)) which is device 0.

Info about my sound setup is here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=72cc9e54cbb2e899d7dc2c65786abd6c08beedbf. I'm going to report this in Launchpad.