PDA

View Full Version : Anime? Where to start?

Shakz
May 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Ok my nephew LOVES this stuff. I would like to understand why. My little sister (22) is into it too. I see some of your avatars.

When I was a kid sure I watched Voltron and Robotech. Lord knows there are dozens of cartoons almost exactly like them on tv now.

I am just wondering though. Is there a definite starting point for aname? Forgive me if I am not spelling it right. Something that I must see to "get it".

I watched the final fantasy movie that came out 10 or so years ago (we were all blown away by the cgi). Is there one thats out there that I must watch? Maybe even a series? I will never be as into it as my nephew...he watches them before they are even translated to english via subtitles/dubs.

I would appreciate some insight from some fans out there. Please offer me some suggestions. If its available on netflix to stream or via dvd/blueray thats a bonus! I have added one called Appleseed to my queue...looking for more.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

razorboy5
May 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
i'm not the biggest anime fan but would definately recommend watching Code Geass

definately cool story line with battlesuits (always a plus ^^)

also recommend subs before dubs anytime, can't stand the dub voices...

chris200x9
May 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
how old is your nephew? If not too young I recommend dna2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA%C2%B2) and akikan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akikan!) as I found them awesome. Also death note (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note) is always good, ergo proxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergo_Proxy) is good but weird, I have only watched 2 episodes of Blade_of_the_Immortal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_of_the_Immortal) but so far so good. I only recently got into anime so thats about all I have seen, heres a tip though if you are actually buying dvds get malaysian dvds -- hella cheep. I only ordered from http://www.animeboxer.com but I've benn eyeing http://www.behappybear.com goodluck.

RiceMonster
May 18th, 2010, 05:21 PM
It's Anime, by the way.

Some reccomendations to start:
Neon Genesis Evangeleon
Ergo Proxy
FLCL
Darker than Black
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop

mosshorn
May 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM
FLCL is my personal favorite, with Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop being the next closest. Personally I would say to start out on Cowboy Bebop. Neon Genesis Evangelion is an amazing series, but not for everyone (the last 3 or 4 episodes are epically mindblowing). You might want to go for your more popular titles that are still running as well (Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc)

spydeyrch
May 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I personally like FMA and FMA: Brotherhood. Some others that I enjoy are:

Samaurai 7
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in a Shell (All of them)
Wolfs Rain
Witch Hunter Robin

I have a ton more but can't seem to remember the names right now. I can see the box art, the story line, etc but can't remember the name. I will have to check once I get back home. :)

For me, the reason I like them: I don't know if I can really summarize it in a few sentences. I like them for different reasons. The drama in some of them, the action, the tech, the sci-fi aspect. There is a plethora of reasons, mostly personal.

A lot of the time, due to how they are drawn, the detail, the character's personality, the situation, etc. There is an almost tangible energy/emotion that is created, almost like a connection to the character. I enjoy watching the characters "grow" and "progress" throughout the story line.

If you watch it as just a cartoon, then yes, it will never be interesting, it really won't. My younger sister used to watch a TON of anime while I was in middle school and high school. I really wasn't interested in it at that time. I thought is was ridiculous and very childish, at least the ones that she was watching. She would watch DragonBall Z, and other ones very similar. I really didn't find them interesting.

Until I saw a more mature anime. Not mature as in red light adult entertainment, no. Mature as in they had real characters that reacted like normal people, or as normal as the people in the anime could react (it is just anime after all). None of this super human crazy strength that has no limit and there is always someone stronger and wanting to fight (dragonball z for example). Because it was an actual story that developed in a more interesting manor, I saw it more than a cartoon.

I could go on for probably hours more but those are just some rough ideas and personal explinations.

Granted, I have two kids now and don't spend as much time as I used to, watching anime. I still do find it entertaining, although my wife has never quite gotten into it.

There is one more anime that I really liked. I cant seem to remember the name (like I said before) but I do remember that it was about multiple universes, blue snow, guys dressed in black capes that had a blue "life line". They had to fight off, what in my mind appeared to me to be, giant robots with some Hindu influence in their appearance.

Anybody remember the name of it?

I realize my description of that particular anime will probably make you not interested, hahahaha :P, but it was really very interesting to me.

-Spydey :guitar:

98cwitr
May 18th, 2010, 05:54 PM
only anime I have ever watched...and will watch, is Tokyo Drift.

PJAMA
May 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Naruto and School Rumble are a fresh start.

doas777
May 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
well, one of the important things to figure out at first, is what are your preferred subgenres?
a lot of people above have suggested titles, so I would go to the ANN encyclopedia ( http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php ) and check some of them out, to see what fits each viewer.

my all time favs are:
Welcome to the NHK
Tenchi Muyo
higurashi
paranoia agent
Mai Otome/Hime
School Rumble
Love Hina
Naruto/bleach/fma

Be suspicious of anything that runs on TV in North America.

pwnst*r
May 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Grave of the Fireflies
Vampire Hunter D

for starters..

doas777
May 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
only anime I have ever watched...and will watch, is Tokyo Drift.

ok. well I guess that means I shouldn't ask if it's any good. the endorsement might have meant something otherwise. all it really says is you don;'t really like anime

pwnst*r
May 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
lol, Tokyo Drift.

RiceMonster
May 18th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Welcome to the NHK

Ahh! How could I forget!? One of my all time favorites, and a good one to get into anime with IMO.

pwnst*r
May 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Ahh! How could I forget!? One of my all time favorites, and a good one to get into anime with IMO.

Hi, RM.

RiceMonster
May 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
ohai pwnst*r

98cwitr
May 18th, 2010, 06:31 PM
ok. well I guess that means I shouldn't ask if it's any good. the endorsement might have meant something otherwise. all it really says is you don;'t really like anime

accurate assumption....

NightwishFan
May 18th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Anime is much more interesting than people think and not immature at all (mostly). Here are some of mine I like:

Animated Films, They are amazing.

Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Laputa; Castle In The Sky

Anime Series, watched and liked myself:

Death Note (Thriller)
Samurai Champloo (Japanese History/Action)
Bleach (Action)
Full Metal Panic (Recommended! Comedy/Action)
Pokemon (The original are pretty good, surprisingly)
Inuyasha (Classic)
Dragonball (Classic!)
Black Lagoon (Action/Adventure)
Get Backers (Comedy/Action)
Samurai 7 (Action, very awesome)

Enjoy!

Tristam Green
May 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
It's Anime, by the way.

Some reccomendations to start:
Neon Genesis Evangeleon
Ergo Proxy
FLCL
Darker than Black
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Grave of the Fireflies
Vampire Hunter D

for starters..

all acceptable answers.

others:

MS Gundam (original series through Char's Counterattack)
The Slayers
Trigun
Outlaw Star

doas777
May 18th, 2010, 07:06 PM
The Slayers
Trigun
Outlaw Star
good calls. gotta love slayers. one of my very first anime

jetsam
May 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I guess my generation started our strange dance with japanese animation with Speed Racer. Probably Donkey Kong as well. These things blended into the kid's entertainment schedule so seemlessly that their country of origin hardly mattered.

So kids these days start with... Yu Gi O? Something like that. I can't keep up.

A few movies that had an impact on me:
Akira. Troublesome, but really great.

Wizards. This is honorary anime.

Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service (I think that's the one. Just chanced on it on TV one day.)...

Lupin. There was a video game. I played that, and saw a few shorts later at the art house movie house near my college! hehe.

Last one: Twilight of the Cockroaches.

I have a hard time recalling the names of these movies, and the movies themselves. They are difficult to recall if I'm not in the right frame of mind. It's almost eerie. The internet and google helps.

Lost in Translation is something else entirely.

spydeyrch
May 18th, 2010, 07:13 PM
When I was younger, I liked Escaflowne (sp?) The series was better than the moive, at least I think so. :-)

-Spydey

fouserge
May 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Akira - The movie any one who watches anime must see.
Trigun - Always been my favorite and the only one that I have actually gone out and bought the box set.
Rurouni Kenshin
Full Metal Alchemist & Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Neon Genesis Evangelion - If you're ready to be depressed
FLCL - To pick you up after watching Evangelion

The one's listed above aren't necessarily the most kid friendly.

I haven't see seen them all yet, but I would highly suggest reading or watching the Phoenix series by Osamu Tezuka. Some of these were actually included as subject material in my "Pre-Modern Japan" course at the University.

NightwishFan
May 18th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I will take the time to +1 Akira. Also Elfen Lied. Both are not for children though.

Tristam Green
May 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion - If you're ready to be depressed
FLCL - To pick you up after watching Evangelion

looking to give the OP an overdose on the Weird-Stuff-O'meter, eh? :D

MooPi
May 18th, 2010, 07:25 PM
From someone to old to know. What is the difference between anime and other cartoons/animation ? I have caught some Dragonball and other minor clips while channel surfing but never really took an interest. Oh and I've happened across the adult version while on the web(a little more enticing).

fouserge
May 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
looking to give the OP an overdose on the Weird-Stuff-O'meter, eh? :D

Ofcourse :P

Oh and currently I'm watching Yu Yu Hakusho. :popcorn:
Watched it back in the day when it was on Adult Swim but they cut it off halfway through the series during some tournament and never aired it again. Finally got around to seeing it.

Random_Dude
May 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Is there one thats out there that I must watch? Maybe even a series? I will never be as into it as my nephew...he watches them before they are even translated to english via subtitles/dubs.

I would appreciate some insight from some fans out there. Please offer me some suggestions. If its available on netflix to stream or via dvd/blueray thats a bonus! I have added one called Appleseed to my queue...looking for more.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Well it depends much on your age and preferences. Unlike most people think, the variety of themes explored by anime is very big. It's not "just cartoons", it's a different genre than western animation.

If you have a nephew I'm assuming that you are not 12/15 years old (but I could be wrong). There is a lot of Shonen anime (anime aimed for a more younger audience) recommended here, so I wouldn't recommend that type of anime. Although I'm a little biased, since 99.9% of the anime I watch is Seinen (aimed for older audience).

In terms of anime I would recommend the following:

Ergo Proxy - Sci-fi, philosophy

http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/12996.jpg

Afro Samurai - Action (the voice of the main character is done by Samuel L. Jackson)

http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/18028.jpg

Elfen Lied - VERY violent. It has, in my opinion, too much fanservice (erotic scenes). But it's still good.

http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/3678.jpg

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - It's a movie (OVA) not a series. Very good.

http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/12213.jpg

Grave of the Fireflies - Tragedy, another movie. A classic.

http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/36661.jpg

Serial Experiments Lain - Cyberpunk, Sci-fi, philosophic. This one I'm usually very careful when I recommend it, because it's very experimental. It's very stranger and either you love it or not.

http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/4907.jpg

You can find all the information you need about anime in here: http://anidb.net/

One more thing, try to watch in Japanese with subtitles. It's always better in the original language.:popcorn:

I hope this helps.
Cheers :cool:

PS: If you could tell us what genre of story are you looking for, than someone could recommend something that suits your taste.

doas777
May 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
From someone to old to know. What is the difference between anime and other cartoons/animation ? I have caught some Dragonball and other minor clips while channel surfing but never really took an interest. Oh and I've happened across the adult version while on the web(a little more enticing).

well, anime is predominately Japanese in origin, but it can come from any asian nationality.

Anime and Manga (comics) are marketed for a differant age group and demographic than are american cartoons. anime is created for all demographic under 30, so you get a mix of appropriate titles for any set of ages. thats why most consider it better. it's not necessarily better, but you have a much better chance of finding something appropriate for your age.
the other thing to consider is that it is just as, if not more popular with girls as guys. they often split it into shonen (boys) and shojo (girls) titles, at a number of levels of age appropriatness.

jetsam
May 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM
OK Random_Dude ROCKS, so this is a special kind of all ages thread.

PG-17.

Parental guidance neglected?

LOLOL:popcorn::popcorn:

spydeyrch
May 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I remembered another one that I like.

Neoin (sp?)

Like many have mentioned, which anime you watch is going to depend heavily upon what genre you like.

Grave of the Fireflies - Tragedy, another movie. A classic.

Once of my favorite movies. I watched it with my wife and she got sooooo depressed. It was her first anime that she truly watched with interest. She was sad for like 3 or 4 days afterward. I felt a little bad. She didn't want to watch anymore anime after that movie. My bad. :(

But still, a great movie. Very heart felt.

jetsam
May 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM
+1.

That's one of the ones I forgot to remember.

...hmmm. Another one that's not so rocky is... Is there like a good cartoon Godzilla? I keep thinking about Godzilla movies, but they don't do Godzilla as anime do they? He's rubber suit.

So...

Iron Giant in japanese?

RiceMonster
May 18th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I remembered another one that I like.

Neoin (sp?)

Like many have mentioned, which anime you watch is going to depend heavily upon what genre you like.

Once of my favorite movies. I watched it with my wife and she got sooooo depressed. It was her first anime that she truly watched with interest. She was sad for like 3 or 4 days afterward. I felt a little bad. She didn't want to watch anymore anime after that movie. My bad. :(

But still, a great movie. Very heart felt.

It's that kind of description that's the reason I've never watched that movie. I don't like depressing stories. I don't mind sad, but there's a line between depressing and sad. This is why I dislike Saikano and Clannad AS (the first season of Clannad is Ok, I guess).

jetsam
May 18th, 2010, 08:24 PM
It's a really good movie.

MindSz
May 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Plenty of good movies/series mentioned here. I haven't seen Deep Blue mentioned tho. It's not for young people tho, but it's a good thriller.

spydeyrch
May 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
It's that kind of description that's the reason I've never watched that movie. I don't like depressing stories. I don't mind sad, but there's a line between depressing and sad. This is why I dislike Saikano and Clannad AS (the first season of Clannad is Ok, I guess).

Understand your point I can. Easier to sadden, my wife, she is. Interesting the movie was, yes. Yet, his own to each, hhmmmm, yes.

-Spydey

EDIT: Sorry guys, I posted in the wrong thread. Well, actually I got the threads mixed up. I was just reading a thread where everyone was speaking like Yoda .... pretty funny. After reading like 15 pages of it, it kind of stuck and I got it mixed up with this one. My apologies.

I liked the movie, but my wife has tendencies to be affected on a larger scale than I am. I must admit that it was sad and really had me take a look a a few things in my life. But over all I am glad that I watched it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Sorry again about the confusion.

Shakz
May 18th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Wow! i didnt expect all these responses. Took me most of my lunchbreak to read through this thread.

I am 33 and my nephew is 14. He comes and stays with us during the summers and I wanted some movies/tv shows we could watch together. We did trek last summer (enterprise and voyager.....all of em).

Mature subject matter is fine for him I think. He got busted pulling up pron on the PS3 at his house the other day as I hear it.....knucklehead. I am not saying soft core pron in the form of cartoons is ok...but a scene here or there in good taste is fine. And violence....you seen what these kids play for video games? Makes GTA laughable.

Anywho A lotta great suggestions here. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to post info on what I am otherwise clueless to. I have jotted down several titles that I am curious about. Ill prolly have to pull this thread up at the house tonight to and start doing several searches.

And thanks to the MOD that edited my title.

I like sci fi fantasy. I really liked aeon flux when it used to come on liquid television before MTV went to becoming a reality tv channel.

I think my nephew will watch any of it. I have seen him watch stuff with robots and space ships in it, and I have seen him watch stuff with samurai and grass huts in it...now that I think of it I have seen him watch stuff with robots, grass huts, space ships and samurai in it.

ZarathustraDK
May 18th, 2010, 08:58 PM
One word: Higurashi ^^

JDShu
May 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM
If you don't "get" anime, I would suggest you start with the Studio Ghibli films. My personal favorite is Laputa, but a couple of others have been mentioned on this thread - but they're all good. If you enjoy those, you can then watch the other more "artsy" movies like Ghost in the Shell and Voices of a Distant Star (Hoshi no Koe).

Random_Dude
May 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Wow! i didnt expect all these responses. Took me most of my lunchbreak to read through this thread.

I am 33 and my nephew is 14. He comes and stays with us during the summers and I wanted some movies/tv shows we could watch together. We did trek last summer (enterprise and voyager.....all of em).

Mature subject matter is fine for him I think. He got busted pulling up pron on the PS3 at his house the other day as I hear it.....knucklehead. I am not saying soft core pron in the form of cartoons is ok...but a scene here or there in good taste is fine. And violence....you seen what these kids play for video games? Makes GTA laughable.

Anywho A lotta great suggestions here. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to post info on what I am otherwise clueless to. I have jotted down several titles that I am curious about. Ill prolly have to pull this thread up at the house tonight to and start doing several searches.

And thanks to the MOD that edited my title.

I like sci fi fantasy. I really liked aeon flux when it used to come on liquid television before MTV went to becoming a reality tv channel.

I think my nephew will watch any of it. I have seen him watch stuff with robots and space ships in it, and I have seen him watch stuff with samurai and grass huts in it...now that I think of it I have seen him watch stuff with robots, grass huts, space ships and samurai in it.

LOL, in that case there shouldn't be much problem. In terms of the more violent anime you'll get some heads flying and blood coming out like a fountain (Elfen Lied, Afro Samurai, etc...). Elfen Lied is not pr0n, it just has nudity and erotic scenes, but not sex.
If he's 14 maybe things like "Serial Experiments Lain" shouldn't be much of is taste, but I can be wrong.

Also, Death Note is pretty good too (at least most of it is very good). It's a good one to go.

Bear in mind that a lot of the shows mentioned here are classics, and a most are very mainstreem. So maybe you should also ask him what has he saw.:)

It's always good to see people who are willing to watch something different without that preconceived idea "Pufff... Cartoons! That's for kids! I'm just too cool to even try to watch!".

Remember, to do searches and read reviews about anime, there is no better place than AnimeDB: http://anidb.net/

doas777
May 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Elfen Lied is not pr0n, it just has nudity and erotic scenes, but not sex.

this is much of where i place the distinction between 'ecchi' and 'hentai'

Hanyoukou Maid Tai or Tenchi Muyo or Girls Bravo are ecchi harem comedy. Urotsokidoji or Bible Black however are just plain disturbing. Blood and Sex should never mix.

doomdragon
May 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Talking of anime I was wondering...
I remember watching an anime feature late @ night on Sci-fi channel(uk) probably about year 2000 now but I can not remeber the name of it at all. It was sort of power rangers-esque in which it had a super mech made up of about 5 different other mechs. I don't remember characters names but there were like 4 scantily clad women(aren't they always) and one guy that contolled the mechs and they also come to think of it lived on a space station and there was an old guy who ran it and in the feature the space station gets destroyed by a enemy mech clad in black but had one kind of evil eye that glowed red! I know it's a long shot but if it rings anyones bell I'd love to know what the film/series was called!

doas777
May 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Talking of anime I was wondering...
I remember watching an anime feature late @ night on Sci-fi channel(uk) probably about year 2000 now but I can not remeber the name of it at all. It was sort of power rangers-esque in which it had a super mech made up of about 5 different other mechs. I don't remember characters names but there were like 4 scantily clad women(aren't they always) and one guy that contolled the mechs and they also come to think of it lived on a space station and there was an old guy who ran it and in the feature the space station gets destroyed by a enemy mech clad in black but had one kind of evil eye that glowed red! I know it's a long shot but if it rings anyones bell I'd love to know what the film/series was called!

wow, that is a description of every mecha anime ever, save perhaps full metal panic

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned GTO.

NCLI
May 18th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Start from the top of the part of this list (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sephiroth_VII&order=4&status=7&tag=) that says "Completed," as I always tell people who ask me this question. If you're not hooked by the time you're done with the ones rated 10, it's probably not for you.
Millennium Actress, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note, and Cowboy Bebop are good for a beginner. Please watch them in Japanese with English subs if you can, you'll thank me later...

Oh, and yes, that is a list over what anime I've watched.

Random_Dude
May 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
this is much of where i place the distinction between 'ecchi' and 'hentai'

Exactly.
All this "anime terms" and categories may be a little confusing for someone that's not an anime fan. But once you get used to it, it's much easier to find anime which you like.

Personally I hate ecchi. But that's like everything in entertainment: just watch something else. ;)

Sashin
May 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM
To get started? Code geass, its only 50 episodes. But after that...

One piece, Dragon Ball (Z as well), Yugioh, Naruto

Most of the well known things have better dubs than subs. everything 'cept code geass here you can watch the english version.

Especially Yugioh. 4kids yugioh voices >>> original jap voices.

doas777
May 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Most of the well known things have better dubs than subs. everything 'cept code geass here you can watch the english version.

I have to disagree with you there. the naruto dubs make me cringe every time they say someones name. it's better than the GreenGreen dubs though. "sau su kay" != sauske.

likemindead
May 18th, 2010, 10:08 PM
First, watch anything and everything by Hayao Miyazaki, the "Walt Disney of Japan."

NCLI
May 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
To get started? Code geass, its only 50 episodes. But after that...

One piece, Dragon Ball (Z as well), Yugioh, Naruto

Especially Yugioh. 4kids yugioh voices >>> original jap voices.

Are you kidding? Subs are almost always better than dubs, and rarely worse. It has a lot to do with the lack of good voice acting schools in the US, they are huge in Japan.

I have to disagree with you there. the naruto dubs make me cringe every time they say someones name. it's better than the GreenGreen dubs though. "sau su kay" != sauske.
Oh god, I hated the GreenGreen dub. I was watching it at a Con, it was late at night, and nothing else was going on, but I swear that my ears started to bleed halfway through the first episode...

First, watch anything and everything by Hayao Miyazaki, the "Walt Disney of Japan."
+1

Random_Dude
May 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Well I'll have to disagree on that too.
I hate dubbed movies/series/anime/cartoons. I like to see everything on the original version with subtitles, because it was the original intention of the authors.

The thing that bugs me the most are dubbed movies, you don't get that much on my country, except if the movies are for kids. But you can still watch the original version of all the films that come out, including Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks movies.
I consider it to be a disrespect for the actors, who might have been practicing for months to get the voice and pronunciation just right, so that some guy comes along and does their voice for them.

dragos240
May 18th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Try Azumanga Daioh for lulz, and Neon Genesis Evangelion for a more serious tone. It should give you a rough idea of what it's about.

fromthehill
May 18th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Elfen Lied is not pr0n, it just has nudity and erotic scenes, but not sex.

it's one constant rain cutted off body-parts :)
nudity isn't really an issue if he can handle that much gore :P

I'd recommend death note. nothing too weird
I also enjoyed higashi no eden(eden of the east)

RiceMonster
May 18th, 2010, 10:54 PM

Strongly disagreed. I'd say 19 times out of 20 the english voice acting is extremely painful, so I watch in Japanese with subtitles so as to not ruin it.

dragos240
May 18th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Strongly disagreed. I'd say 19 times out of 20 the english voice acting is extremely painful, so I watch in Japanese with subtitles so as to not ruin it.

+1, the Japanese voice acting is much more superior.

JDShu
May 18th, 2010, 10:59 PM

+1

Its been done right before, but its very rare.

GarmaZed
May 19th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Does anybody like Blue Submarine No. 6? I feel like I'm the only one here that may, and it's my personal favorite. It's a quick series of 4 1-hour episodes. The story, the art/CGI, and the music are all excellent.

MasterNetra
May 19th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I'm not big into Anime but I did like Inuyasha, it was the first anime I watched that made sense to me. Apparently I had a habit of stumbling into the types that leave you scratching your head wondering what heck you just saw. You know the ones that the makers must of been getting high while making it? I also enjoyed the crest of the stars and banner of the stars, but yea Anime is essentially more mature version of cartoons (most are I think.) I believe the Sonic X series, while kiddish in the english version is supposed to be more mature in its original Japanese even had some bar scene that was taken out for the english which I guess wasn't for little kids. Leave it to US censorship to degrade a anime.

sxmaxchine
May 19th, 2010, 01:04 AM
My favourite anime is ah my goddess (http://www.madman.com.au/ahmygoddess/)

however you might also like something with more acion, so i would recomend ninja scroll.

doas777
May 19th, 2010, 01:12 AM
My favourite anime is ah my goddess (http://www.madman.com.au/ahmygoddess/)

however you might also like something with more acion, so i would recomend ninja scroll.
check out yumeria and amenaideyo. I think you;ll like 'em.

Merk42
May 19th, 2010, 02:20 AM
La Blue Girl
Bible Black
Urotsukidoji

You'll have plenty to talk about after watching those

NCLI
May 19th, 2010, 07:02 AM

La Blue Girl
Bible Black
Urotsukidoji

I really think he should start out with something that's not hentai, as nice as it is. ;)

nerdtron
May 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Anime? Of course Naruto is definitely in!
But my favorite is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, IMO its the best anime for science inclined minds. I highly recommend it.
For comedy and adventure Cowboy Bebop is cool. An space adventure with a story on each episode. It is worth watching every episode.

Tristam Green
May 19th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Does anybody like Blue Submarine No. 6? I feel like I'm the only one here that may, and it's my personal favorite. It's a quick series of 4 1-hour episodes. The story, the art/CGI, and the music are all excellent.

I remember Blue Sub 6! It was pretty cool.

Also, Blue Gender was *awesome*.

astrobot
May 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
The first Anime film I watched was Akira in the early 90's, found it mesmerising.

*English subs all the way*>

dragos240
May 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
La Blue Girl
Bible Black
Urotsukidoji

Arent those hentai animes?

Random_Dude
May 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
But my favorite is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, IMO its the best anime for science inclined minds.

The best anime for science inclined minds is definitely Planetes: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=895

http://xspblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/mv.jpg

The series is very careful about a lot of physical phonemes (i.e. sound does not travel in space). It's Hard Sci-fi.

Definitely a must if you like this sort of thing.

doas777
May 19th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Arent those hentai animes?
urotsukidoji is more than hentai... IMO, it's just plain sick...

ZarathustraDK
May 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Oh, Bokusatsu tenshi Dokuro-chan is crazy-fun too. Only a couple of episodes long, but well worth the watch.

Here's a link to the opening, you'll get the idea ^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_77d0VRPE0

doas777
May 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Oh, Bokusatsu tenshi Dokuro-chan is crazy-fun too. Only a couple of episodes long, but well worth the watch.

Here's a link to the opening, you'll get the idea ^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_77d0VRPE0

I love the translation for that title: "Dokuro-chan, The Smash-you-to-Death Angel".
thats some funny stuff.

madjr
May 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Saint seiya is one of the most epic anime i know of

http://www.animextremist.com/series/ssintro_archivos/ss51.jpg

"The director Louis Leterrier (director for Clash of the Titans) announced on an interview that he is a big Saint Seiya fan and the armors that the gods in the movie wore were an homage to saint seiya. Warner bros. then asked Masami Kurumada to make a poster for Clash of the Titans. "

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=saint%20seiya

:)

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Cool. Thanks for the recommendation. It's hard to know where to pick up again with Anime as well. Is it within the bound of 'R'? I know that the bounds are up for negotiation, but really "shock shock zuber shock," is old hat to me, and I try not to get blindsided by it.

NightwishFan
May 20th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I will avoid talking about this too much as it is not exactly suitable for these forums, but I will say that Elfen Lied is my favorite anime. It is one of the few series I have watched that succeeds in being honest about what it portrays while still being artistic. I am not a fan of blood and gore at all as well, but it is a shred of good horror that at times is done well. It covers all the ranges of humanity. Also, I love the opera opening, and have the soundtrack.

dragos240
May 20th, 2010, 01:48 AM

I actually haven't explored that anime, but I do remember:
"HEY! You promised you'd stop beating me to death this morning!" I just cracked up there.

nerdtron
May 20th, 2010, 02:17 AM
The best anime for science inclined minds is definitely Planetes: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=895

http://xspblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/mv.jpg

The series is very careful about a lot of physical phonemes (i.e. sound does not travel in space). It's Hard Sci-fi.

Definitely a must if you like this sort of thing.

looks cool. I'll take a look at it.

Rususeruru
May 21st, 2010, 12:53 AM
If you're into sci-fi and are looking for more "Americanized/Western-style" anime which may be easier to digest start with Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. Although as a heads up give Cowboy Bebop 5 episodes to grow on you!

tkblackbelt
May 21st, 2010, 02:41 AM
My favorite animes are death note and monster you should check them out.

billmoseley
May 21st, 2010, 02:44 AM
Ranma 1/2 - funniest show ever; start with season 1 of the TV show

jetsam
May 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
I got videos from the vid store last nite. It's a good store with a limited selection..

The Cat Returns (Started the story board disk. Amazing.)
The Castle Of Cagliostro. (Think I'll be able to remember the plot?)
Steamboy... neat lookin'.
------------
------------
The Life Aquatic
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (dull documentary. Been on PBS.)

doas777
May 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Ranma 1/2 - funniest show ever; start with season 1 of the TV show
classic. the Lady's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumiko_Takahashi) other work is pretty good as well: Maision Ikkoku, InuYasha, Uresai Yatsura, and many more.

@jetsam, steamboy was pretty good. you will likely like it.

madjr
May 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
classic. the Lady's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumiko_Takahashi) other work is pretty good as well: Maision Ikkoku, InuYasha, Uresai Yatsura, and many more.

@jetsam, steamboy was pretty good. you will likely like it.

inuyasha and ranma i luv it !

for the other ones i never heard of them, will try to watch them

another classic:

Future Boy Conan
http://myanimelist.net/anime/302/Future_Boy_Conan

i grew up with that it was awesome

the same style as princess mononoke
http://myanimelist.net/anime/164/Princess_Mononoke

still my #1 anime is "saint seiya"

jetsam
May 21st, 2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah... Don't look at the 700 title list, look at the picture. That one was hard to figure out.

lol

Vitamin-Carrot
May 21st, 2010, 10:39 PM
The first anime i ever watched was "Fist Of The North Star" which was quickly followed by "Street Fighter - The Animated Movie", "Fatal Fury" and "Akira" - I didn't go in for the whole Dragon Ball series nor do I have any tolerance for Naruto

Favs Are As Follows

Akira
Cowboy Bebop - Including The Movie (Best Written Anime Ever)
Ghost In The Shell S.A.C (Stand Alone Complex)
Ghost In The Shell S.A.C 2nd Gig
Samurai Champloo
Afro Samurai
Afro Samurai Resurrection
Samurai 7
Guyver (The Original Series)
Hellsing
FLCL
Ragnarok - The Animation
Steamboy

Least Fav - Gantz - Sorry but if I ask an EB employee "hey I am looking for an anime along the same lines as Cowboy Bebop what do you recommend" the answer is not and never will be "Gantz" - I'm sorry if anyone here works for EB but the truth is "Gantz" is so far the opposite of Cowboy Bebop or any other anime it has to carry a certificate to prove its a cartoon let alone published by madman entertainment

madjr
May 21st, 2010, 11:05 PM
The first anime i ever watched was "Fist Of The North Star" which was quickly followed by "Street Fighter - The Animated Movie", "Fatal Fury" and "Akira" - I didn't go in for the whole Dragon Ball series nor do I have any tolerance for Naruto

Least Fav - Gantz

hmm, i really liked Street fighter and Fatal fury, specially how they focused on the ki/chi/spirital-energy (not just "magical" powers)

if you liked those am sure you'll like saint seiya, takes it to a whole new level.

as for gantz it was brutal and weird sometimes, same with elfen lied, but i found the concepts interesting. lol weird, how they would recommend it at EB ! , it's in the line of elfen lied, not cowboy bebop! which is in the line of Ghost in the shell :D

i watched cowboy bebop movie other day, was really great. Has a spot on my list :)

del_diablo
May 21st, 2010, 11:49 PM
Something like this:
First DBZ
Then Love Hina and Elfen Lied
Watched a bit of randomness
Started on Naruto
Catched up with Naruto, attempted to watch Bleach for the second time.
Random shoujo series being read.... And 666 Satan, aka O-parts Hunter-
Caught up with Naruto and Bleach, reading the latest up on the manga.
Start on Full Metal Alchemist, and many others.
Code Geass, started on One Piece
Read up on Berserk, AWESOME!
Caught up on the One Piece manga
Now a days a read a bit of the retarded shounen series, wonder why i still read Bleach, droll over One Piece, enjoying Naruto, waiting for the whenever next chapter of Berserk, and attempting to read Yu Yu Hakushu and wondering weither or not:
*There exists a place where i can read the final parts of the Pokemon Manga?
*A place which actually got proper scans for Fist of the North star? I can't find anywhere who has chapters 40-50 and other holes
*Is Jo Jo Bizarre Adventure worth reading?

JDShu
May 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
... Now a days a read a bit of the retarded shounen series, wonder why i still read Bleach, drool over One Piece, enjoying Naruto, waiting for the whenever next chapter of Berserk ...

I agree with you about Bleach, OP, and Naruto. OP is awesome and Naruto has gotten good again :D.

Berserk won't be out for a very long time if ever... apparently Miura has gotten addicted to playing Idolmaster.

Random_Dude
May 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Favs Are As Follows

Afro Samurai
Afro Samurai Resurrection

Did you enjoy Resurrection? I loved Afro Samurai, but Resurrection ruined it.:mad:
I like to think that the story ended in the first series.

jetsam
May 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
I got scared off by the case back on Afro Samur(a)i. I just wasn't in the mood.