PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Add skype in Messaging menu (Ubuntu 10.04)

fantom4ik
May 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
So to add skype in Ubuntu messaging menu must:
1. Install Skype

sudo aptitude install skype
2. Open /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop

3. Add row

StartupNotify=true

4.Save and close file
5.Create and open new file /usr/share/indicators/messages/applications/skype

sudo gedit /usr/share/indicators/messages/applications/skype
6. Add row

/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
7. Save and close
8.Restart or Log Out

luceerose
July 6th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Should we also add;
/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
to the
~/.cache/indicators/messages/seen-db.keyfile
file ???

shinzo
July 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
What is the exact result? Only to integrate Skype to the Notification Menu or also get incoming messages integrated?

beavis5551
July 21st, 2010, 09:40 AM
What is the exact result? Only to integrate Skype to the Notification Menu or also get incoming messages integrated?

AFAIK result is only to integrate skype to the notification menu.
New messages from skype will pop up in the skype icon - not in the notification menu.

cheers,

beavis

shinzo
July 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Ok, then it works on Ubuntu Lynx. A Skype-Button is integrated in the Notifier. And a click on it starts Skype. But when Skype is already running, it just tries to start Skype a second time.

I don't know if that's exactely like intended or just because I screwed up my Notifier while integrating Skype on my own. But I would prefer if a click on the Skype-Button would open the already running version and not open a new one every time.

Greets.

antimirov
July 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm wondering how to undone this. Now I have a Skype icon in messaging list, but it's not very useful. I removed all changes I've made, but the icon is still there. Will restart help, has anyone tried?

hugo87
October 29th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I'm wondering how to undone this. Now I have a Skype icon in messaging list, but it's not very useful. I removed all changes I've made, but the icon is still there. Will restart help, has anyone tried?

killall gnome-panel

DirtyPC
October 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Go to terminal, killall gnome-panel

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the post above

fay_tonpou
October 31st, 2010, 11:31 PM
Ok, then it works on Ubuntu Lynx. A Skype-Button is integrated in the Notifier. And a click on it starts Skype. But when Skype is already running, it just tries to start Skype a second time.

I don't know if that's exactely like intended or just because I screwed up my Notifier while integrating Skype on my own. But I would prefer if a click on the Skype-Button would open the already running version and not open a new one every time.

Greets.

you can write a launcher to check if it's already running : add this at /usr/local/bin/skype

#!/bin/bash

nbi=$(pgrep -c skype)
if [ $nbi -ge 2 ];then
echo "skype is already running"
else
/usr/bin/skype
fi

joshrodgers
June 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Ok, then it works on Ubuntu Lynx. A Skype-Button is integrated in the Notifier. And a click on it starts Skype. But when Skype integration (http://www.3gcgroup.com/) is already running, it just tries to start Skype a second time.

Greets.

I had the same issue in screwing up the notifier while integrating skype. Did u figure out anyhthing to not open a new one?

SaintDanBert
November 2nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
I had the same issue in screwing up the notifier while integrating skype. Did u figure out anyhthing to not open a new one?

In the proposed run-once script consider:

echo will write to STDOUT from the shell

notify-send will create a pop-up on the desktop for something launched while the desktop is running.

# --expire-time milliseconds to leave display on screen
# first string -- appears as a title in the pop-up. I chose "Run-Once"
# second string -- whatever your message wants to be
notify-send --expire-time=3000 "Run-Once" $msg

See the man-page for notify-send for more details.

While this does nothing to intgrate app-lets running in the top panel notification area, it does help things feel more integrated with the desktop.

Cheers,
~~~ 0;-Dan