PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Autocomplete in OpenOffice Writer

unueco
May 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Greetings:

I am trying to figure out how to USE the autocomplete feature in OpenOffice Writer.

I have found LOTS & LOTS of posts from folks annoyed with it who want to turn it off. But I'd like to learn how to use it.

Once the suggested completion appears, how do you "accept" it.

I've tried just about every key I can think of (tab, space, all 4 directional errors, home, end....etc etc). Nothing works to get the autocomplete to actually "complete".

Help appreciated....otherwise I guess I'll be turning it off just like everybody else....

dvlchd3
May 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I believe Enter is the key you are looking for. I find it annonying when I'm at the end of the line, but don't want to accept the suggestion, other than that, I think its a great feature!

unueco
May 19th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Hi and thanks for your reply but....no...<enter> does not work either....it just gives me a <CR><LF> as usual.

So...if I'm typing along and I get a autocomplete " syXXXXXXXX"

Hitting enter just leaves me "sy"

...and then the cursor ends up on a new line.

As I mentioned before...I;ve tried <enter>, <tab>, <space bar>, all for directional arrows, <esc>....none work.

Maybe there's a bug in *my* version.....??

unueco
May 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
No responses? Can it be true that NO ONE knows how to use the autocomplete feature? Is it truly a broken feature?? An odd thing in the open-source community.....

cbecker78
May 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
No, "Enter" is definitely supposed to be the key that accepts the autocomplete suggestion. So it must be something wrong with your Writer. Or else the feature has been changed. What version of are you using? "Enter" has worked for me on the default installations for Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.1. I just verified this in 9.04 version 3.01. I'm not sure what version 9.1 uses since i'm not at that PC right now...

Hagar Delest
May 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Have you tried the different options in Tools>AutoCorrect options>Word completion?

Metrop021
May 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
yeah enter has always worked well for me, it would really surprise me if there wasn't something in options about autocorrect