PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ssh banner with the number of currently running processes

umeboshi80
May 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Hi!

I would like to do the following: Create a banner for any user logging in through ssh which warns him/her about the number of processors being used already by other users (or conversely the number of free processors). For example, if a user logged in he would then see a message like: Warning! 7 out of 8 processors are in use.

I already figured out how to do a banner and with ps -e -o pcpu I can get all processes' %CPU usage. I think I would like to count the number of processes which have more than 90% CPU usage and output this number ("7" in the example) in the banner.

How does one do that?
Thanks,
Hadassa

BoneKracker
May 18th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Since the sshd banner is presented before authentication, it's a bad idea to include information that could be useful to an attacker. The banner should be more like a warning that unauthorized users who attempt to connect will face prosecution or something.

I think a better idea would be to put a small block of code at the bottom of your users' shell login file (~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, or the equivalent file for the shell you are using). This is executed after authentication. The code would simply need to output what you want displayed. Also, this is much simpler than trying to dynamically alter the contents of a Banner file.

If you want this to apply to all future uses you may add, you can also put it in /etc/skel (for example, in /etc/skel/.bash_profile). The contents of this directory are copied to newly-created user home directories. (If you browse /etc/skel, keep in mind that all the files there are dot-files, so you have to "ls -a" or "show hidden files" to see them).

umeboshi80
May 18th, 2010, 08:27 AM
So I guess I will change motd etc. in order to include this information.
Thanks!

BoneKracker
May 18th, 2010, 08:41 AM
So I guess I will change motd etc. in order to include this information.
Thanks!

No, like the banner, motd is not easy to efficiently alter dynamically. (You could have a running process or a cron job that keeps running 'sed' and putting the current data in there, but that's an awful waste of resources just to have up-to-date data in there for when a user happens to log in.) Motd is more for static (daily-changing) information.

The other alternative would be /etc/issue (or /etc/issue.net), but like the banner, those are output prior to authentication, and they are similarly difficult to update with data that are not already built-in /etc/issue parameters (see 'man agetty').

Try what I suggested. It's simple. If you want to test it, just stick this at the bottom of your ~/.bash_profile file:
echo -e "\nHey this works. I'm on $(uname -r)\n"Just figure out the code to display what you want (about processes or processors or whatever you had in mind).

umeboshi80
May 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Sorry, only saw part of your message when I replied.
Will try your suggestions!
Thanks a lot!

BoneKracker
May 18th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have a bad habit of editing my messages after posting. :P

rnerwein
May 18th, 2010, 10:08 AM
hi umeboshi80 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=852225)
i think the method you will choose has not much sense. the usage of the cpu must not nessecarily tell you the load
of your system. even with 100 % of cpu usage your system can perform very well. we got schedulers. it's the matter
what is going on on the system ( e.g. heavy IO on the same disk on different partitions .... ).
you can use: uptime to see to how many users logged in and the load average !
hope this help
ciao

BoneKracker
May 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
hi umeboshi80 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=852225)
i think the method you will choose has not much sense. the usage of the cpu must not nessecarily tell you the load
of your system. even with 100 % of cpu usage your system can perform very well. we got schedulers. it's the matter
what is going on on the system ( e.g. heavy IO on the same disk on different partitions .... ).
you can use: uptime to see to how many users logged in and the load average !
hope this help
ciao

For that, you can just put this at the end of your ~/.bash_profile
/usr/bin/uptime

The following will give you the 1-minute load average (instead of all three averages included in 'uptime'), the amount of RAM in use, and the amount of Swap in use, and the local date/time on the remote system:

read -d' ' ld < /proc/loadavg

echo " Load: $ld $(awk '
NR == 3 { printf " RAM: %u MiB ", $3 }
NR == 4 { printf " Swap: %u MiB ", $3 }
END { print strftime(" %a %b %-e %T") }' < <( free -m ))"

If you wanted, you could display that on login by putting at the bottom of ~/.bash_profile. Or you could come up with something similar (shorter) and include it in your bash prompt.

Another useful command that pretty much gives you a complete picture of what kind of stress the system under is 'vmstat':

~ # vmstat
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
0 0 0 425660 147000 100944 0 0 43 7 216 291 15 2 83 1