PDA

View Full Version : Git?

Drenriza
May 18th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I'am currently trying to get my windows programs over on to linux with wine wine-1.1.42.

I have installed office 2007 and net framework 2.0

Now i want to install net framework 3.0 and ofc i get multiple errors.

I then look around and bump over a section on wineHQ where, where i read (as i understand it) that i should have the last stable version of Git installed.

I do not fully understand what Git is or how to use it. So can anyone briefly tell me what it is and what it does? http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine

Thanks on advance
Kind regards

tacoee
May 18th, 2010, 08:53 AM
git is a version controller. Just like VCS or SVN , it is not relate with your issue, I think.

Drenriza
May 18th, 2010, 09:23 AM
But what does an version controller do? what is it purpose.

Anyone know about my issue?

s.fox
May 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM
But what does an version controller do? what is it purpose.

Hello,

Managing changes to documents as they are edited, reviewed and finalised and providing an auditable trail of the various versions through which they pass This allows different projects to use the same source files at the same time It isolates work that is not ready to be shared by the rest of the project.

-Silver Fox

Drenriza
May 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks silver_fox_

But would this have an influens on my issue?

AS i understand it.
GIT would update documents as they are edited, replacing old with new ones. As different people are working on the wine project?

When we say documents, do we then mean files? for example configuration files or is it only documentation files, that doesnt change wine-performance / stability.

asdfoo
May 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
git is a tool used by software developers to manage their work and cooperate with other developers.

If the owner of a project wants to share with other users, they publish a git repository. Wine has one of these.

You, as a user, can install git and use it to download a copy of the git repository and then compile your own version of Wine. After you have downloaded it, you can then keep it in sync with the master repository.

All that aside, I don't think .NET 3 works properly yet. So I suggest you look at alternative software that doesn't have such a strong tie to a MS proprietary implementation.

Drenriza
May 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Unfurtiantly i have been told from the company that makes the program. That Net Frameworks 3 is needed to run the program.

And i do not know of any alternative.

the program i want to run is a client to study. Linux+ CCNA, CCNP, Linux Security e.c.t.
www.testout.com/support/labsim