PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu anyone?

oshirowanen
May 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM
It seems that Lubuntu does not offer an alternative cd installation. I normally use the alternative cd installation so I can make use of full HDD encryption.

I've noticed that there is a PPA for Lubuntu, but am not 100% what it is. If I do a minimal Ubuntu installation using the ubuntu alternative cd, then use the PPA to install a desktop environment (if that is what the PPA is for), will I be able to have Lubuntu with full disk encryption?

oshirowanen
May 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I decided to give this a try. I downloaded a minimal install cd of 10.04. After the installation and making sure to choose the full disk encryption option, I logged in and installed the Lubuntu PPA. A few moments later, I have a fully working Lubuntu with full disk encryption!

I can finally have Lubuntu with full disk encryption on my low spec'ed laptop, so I will feel a little less stressed knowing that if it gets stolen, the thief will have a good old time trying to decrypt it. :D

I will finally make the move when 10.04.1 is released.

bailout
May 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
There are instructions on the wiki for doing this. Pretty much what you did but using no-install-recomends option.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp#Minimal Install