PDA

View Full Version : The Decline of Google

Sporkman
May 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Interesting article...

In the early days, email was the dominant application. Then it was portals, such as Yahoo (YHOO). Google dominated the next cycle, which was search. Now, it in turn is being brushed aside by social networking and the mobile internet.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/205420-the-decline-of-google?source=yahoo

...what do YOU think??

dragos240
May 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Meh, google won't go under for a while. It's still the most popular search engine. That's what I use it for anyway.

Grenage
May 17th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Looks like a desperate attempt to get page hits; anyone who thinks that Google is getting anything but stronger.. what have you been smoking?

RiceMonster
May 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Well I don't think social networking and Google are comparable things. Google offers completely different services, and I don't see them going anywhere.

xir_
May 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Looks like a desperate attempt to get page hits; anyone who thinks that Google is getting anything but stronger.. what have you been smoking?

i agree.

I think things like Facebook are a flash in the pan. Just like friendster, beebo and myspace.

Sporkman
May 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
This isn't the only place I've read this, though - the conventional wisdom is that traditional "web surfing" on regular PCs & laptops will give way to specialized "apps" (either on regular computers or mobile devices) which present info from over the internet using their own scheme.

Ylon
May 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
It remind me this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYVCk10AzS0

now you can googl' it on facebook too! :)

scottuss
May 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
i agree.

I think things like Facebook are a flash in the pan. Just like friendster, beebo and myspace.

Agreed. These things come and go, but decent search engines are hard to come by. Google, no matter what people say about their methods and privacy issues, is the best search engine out there.

Microsoft seem to think so anyway, I'm guessing that's why they've plummeted so many pounds into advertising Bing on TV. (For those who haven't seen them, they're cringe worthy.)

LowSky
May 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM

I agree as well. Lets not forget Google actually makes money. Last I check (and it isn't often) Facebook is still in the red, as the ad revenue isn't even close to how much money the company burns through. Why do you think they want to own your data? It's so they can sell it!

gazj
May 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Google own YouTube don't forget can't really see that falling by the waste side any time soon.

philinux
May 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Owned by google.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8676380.stm

gazj
May 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Agreed. These things come and go, but decent search engines are hard to come by. Google, no matter what people say about their methods and privacy issues, is the best search engine out there.

Microsoft seem to think so anyway, I'm guessing that's why they've plummeted so many pounds into advertising Bing on TV. (For those who haven't seen them, they're cringe worthy.)

Yeah they really are cringe worthy, lol. Glad someone else thinks so

sydbat
May 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Yeah they really are cringe worthy, lol. Glad someone else thinks soThe ones on this side of the pond aren't much better.

formaldehyde_spoon
May 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
200 million facebook users would be third biggest country by population??

China, India, USA, and pretty sure Indonesia is about 250 million.

Google will die eventually (every company will), but it'll be many years beyond the death of facebook.

sydbat
May 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM
200 million facebook users would be third biggest country by population??

China, India, USA, and pretty sure Indonesia is about 250 million.

Google will die eventually (every company will), but it'll be many years beyond the death of facebook.Pretty close - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population#List

98cwitr
May 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
i hate facebook even more now after reading that article...and i didn't think that was possible.

Google's not going anywhere...I'd even venture to say we'd see Apple go down before Google does.

Google also hasn't been doing too bad in the market over the last year http://www.google.com/finance?q=goog

Google has been IMPROVING their business over the last quarter:

Q1 (Mar '10) 2009
Net profit margin 28.86% 27.57%
Operating margin 36.72% 35.15%
EBITD margin - 41.59%
Return on average assets 18.81% 18.05%
Return on average equity 21.11% 20.30%

Merk42
May 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Interesting article...

Now, it in turn is being brushed aside by social networking and the mobile internet.
...what do YOU think??
Android

This isn't the only place I've read this, though - the conventional wisdom is that traditional "web surfing" on regular PCs & laptops will give way to specialized "apps" (either on regular computers or mobile devices) which present info from over the internet using their own scheme.
Chrome OS

Johnsie
May 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I think people will get bored of facebook. It's already go to the point that many people are worrying about their security on there. The search will always be necessary and people feel more comfortable searching as there is a little bit more anonymity.

Google has peaked though... They are good at search but all their other applications are rubbish. Gmail and Youtube were ok bur youtube wasn't their own creation.

Dragonbite
May 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Articles of Google's demise, declaring OpenOffice is dead with Office 2010 and stories of a Facebook exodus over privacy issues, one doesn't know WHAT to believe anymore!

NCLI
May 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Google isn't stupid. This is the reason why they're expanding their business in many directions. Even if their search engine should become irrelevant they still serve a huge number of ads through Gmail, Android, Maps, etc.

Google will die eventually (every company will), but it'll be many years beyond the death of facebook.

As long as they stay up-to-date and flexible, there's no reason why Google should die. Companies usually die when they get complacent and stop innovating, Google doesn't seem to be doing anything but speeding up.

Frogs Hair
May 17th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I think Google will have a desktop operating system in the near future it seems like a natural evolution.
It is true anything can happen remember how big AOL was and now they have all but disappeared.

NCLI
May 17th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I think Google will have a desktop operating system in the near future it seems like a natural evolution.
It is true anything can happen remember how big AOL was and now they have all but disappeared.

I think there will be a desktop version of Chrome OS soon enough, but don't expect it to be much different.

OrbJinzo
May 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/

98cwitr
May 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/

Tell me google didnt put that together, I dont believe that they would do that though.

NCLI
May 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Tell me google didnt put that together, I dont believe that they would do that though.

They have a point though. :guitar:

McRat
May 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Not a Google fan, but they are going to get much bigger before they get smaller.

Google allows businesses focused advertising on Google Search, and also Google Earth, and I imagine Google Chrome.

That's what pays the bills, and they are doing it well.

Google Earth might end up as the ultimate Billboard.

soelk
May 17th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Google has hundreds or possibly thousands of people working on various forms of social networking.

As for having a Facebook page that you visit regularly, sure, it is going to be one important thing that people are going to continue to do, but there will also be other forms of networking.

The most interesting development is probably the development of networks where people can work together and share their work in a virtual environment. Google Wave might not be the answer, but something sort of like Google Wave will be huge.

scouser73
May 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Google won't decline at all, search is their main priority and it's what garners the best income for the company.

BigCityCat
May 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I hate Google. I use http://www.startpage.com/eng/protect-privacy.html for my search and I use SRware Iron as my browser (Chrome Clone). I hate facebook. I'm really in a pretty good mood. lol

Startpage's position:

You have a right to privacy.
Your search data should never fall into the wrong hands.
The only real solution is quickly deleting your data or not storing them to begin with.
Since January 2009 we do not record our users' IP addresses anymore.
We are the first and only search engine to do so.
Our initiative is receiving an overwhelmingly positive response!

Startpage will wholeheartedly continue on its mission to offer you great search results in the best possible privacy!

chessnerd
May 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Maybe.

Some futurists and entrepreneurs once claimed that, following World War II, the helicopter would replace the car as the main form of transportation. An inventor named Frank Piasecki once said "Any intelligent person who can learn to drive a car will be able to fly a postwar helicopter after a few easy lessons."

Scientists were far more interested in Alexander Graham Bell's photophone than they were in his telephone, feeling it was more advanced technology. Many thought that it was the photophone that would be the future of communication.

Thomas Edison invested heavily in building houses out of concrete, which ended up being a completely failed enterprise.

People are wrong every day.