PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] is it possible to install to an internal HD through another machine, when USB's down?

bjaz
May 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM
hello all
I'm having an issue installing a ubuntu version (focusing on lucid lynx netbook remix at the moment) on an old UMP machine with no CD drive.

it's old yet the bios supported USB booting (past tense because it no longer seems to)
this machine, an old Japanese FMV Biblo LOOX S73A, once ran xubuntu, then puppy linux, which were installed via an external USB CD drive + live cd--

now it's running nothing at all

yet after a broken xubuntu install, through which i also erased the original japanese windows xp, which landed me in busybox commands, I've been unable to re-install anything.

I tried to get help with the commands in this thread,
stuck in busybox after a powerfailure during install-no internal CD drive, USB boot ? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1477393)
but no luck, so, after waiting a few months, I opened up the machine, removed the hard drive, erased it, placed it in a USB enclosure and installed from another machine.

replaced it and nothing. it won't boot.
the USB ports are not responding either, even though they seemed to in the former broken install- i tried 2 different CD drives, as well as unetbooting flashdrives-

the only port this machine has is an ethernet port. I have 2 similar 30Gig ide hard drives, and a 2.5 IDE USB enclosure. The HD disks work when attached to other machines, and can be installed on. yet once placed in the FMV (internally, or via USB) nothing happens (blinking cursor)- I tried with another install, #! linux, blinking cursor as well.

what could be the cause of this blinking cursor instead of a grub menu / error ? I don't understand- before erasing the disk, I at least got a grub cascading to busybox commands (see link) - now I did a full install from this disk enclosed in an external drive, placed it back in the computer and...zilch

what could be tried to get this machine running ?

I'd like to install something on it- but even after trying out the various options in the bios (which again once supported USB booting natively, it's in the bios options) now refuses to boot from USB (CD drive or USB flash)

is there anyway to install ubuntu on a machine with no internal CD drive, and problematic USB ports (although it is once supported USB booting) and currently no running OS on it whatsoever, but from which the 2.5 int IDE HDD can easily be removed, works, and which can be placed in a snug USB enclosure and eventually connected to another machine, choices being a working ubuntu install, a working crunchbang install, mac os, windows--

thanks a million, i really don't know what to do to try to bring this one back to life.

thanks

ben

I really hope I'll get an answer, even negative, so I can, shall we say find some closure on this one, and learn what to avoid in the future- silence on this ongoing issue is slightly eerie, and i'm starting to wonder if it's because the issue itself is desperate, if i'm not precise enough or something else
thanks