PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] bootstrap error

nr2b
May 17th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I have hit a road block,
I took my moms old 2000 sony vaio PCG F480 with good intent to load ubuntu on it. I tried 9.1 first and got a boot strap error during install. I tried 10.4, 8.1 and 6.1 with all the same results; no OS installed now.
I down loaded 10.4 alternate-installed command prompt- opted for free software only and did get that to work but dont have a way to get this thing online (plus I really don't know what I'm doing!). I tried aptoncd to make a install disk but really I haven't a clue what I'm doing and couldn't get that to work.
I have read alot and often I see something about BIOS? I dont know what this is, the system is 11GB, 192MB ram (I think) pentium III processor.
What I need is a dumb proof walk through on how to load from only the CD?
Can anyone help, I just want to get this thing back to my 65 yr mom with some type of easy OS on it so she can play on line; via USB modem adapter.

Dn4mycrownj
May 17th, 2010, 07:21 AM
borrowed the information form httpuphttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirementsps://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements i dont think what you are trying to run is going to run worth a crap. try something lighter like this one below or puppy.

Lightweight GUI alternative (Xubuntu)

256 MiB of system memory (RAM)
2 GB of disk space
Graphics card and monitor capable of 800x600 resolution

nr2b
May 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
You may be right, a new puppy would be much easier. I tried as you said and loaded xubuntu but I still can't get it to load.
this is what I got as errors
file:///cdrom/pool/main/p/pam/libpam-modules_1.1.1-2 ubuntu2_i386 was corrupt
"/sbin/lilo" failed
I tried the disk in my PC and ran a test CD which came back fine, same test in the old sony came back with a error?

Thanks for the idea, anymore where that came from?
I'll try anything, I just feel so bad I have to tell her I screwed it up.

gordintoronto
May 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM
You might get Lubuntu installed, it's pretty good, and can run the Ubuntu applications. You don't have enough memory for any other graphical Buntu.

Failing that, there's always Puppy.