PDA

View Full Version : Installing Drivers

Matt_Johnson
May 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I have a MSI N9600GT graphics card and I can't find the drivers I tried running hardware drivers and it was only showing the onboard graphics card and not the PCI-E card. Can someone help me locate drivers for this.

oldfred
May 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Do you in BIOS have to turn off the on board graphics?

My install came up in about 30 sec and asked if I wanted to install the nvidia driver? I only have a 9600GT.

On first boot after install, press e on getting the GRUB bootloader.
Using arrow keys navigate to and delete quiet and splash and type the word nomodeset in their place
Press Ctrl and X to boot (low graphics mode)

After I installed nvidia driver (default from pop up) then it has worked without issue.

cascade9
May 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
If yuo cant disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS, you might have to blacklist the onbaord video card.

Matt_Johnson
May 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM
usually when you install a new graphics card driver it will set it as default and disable the onboard. I can't find any drivers for my card tho :(

cryptotheslow
May 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
If the card is being seen by the OS then the NVidia drivers should be available in the Hardware Drivers menu.

Very slightly newer drivers are available for download here: www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html (http://www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html)although manually installing that way will mean you will have to reinstall them manually with every kernel update - so keep the install file somewhere handy.

Can you post up the results of the lspci command run in a Terminal?

oldfred
May 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
You should also find the driver in synaptic.

Installing the drivers from nvidia site adds complications, I would only do that as a last resort. And once installed may create conflicts with the downloadable one.

Matt_Johnson
May 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Can you post up the results of the lspci command run in a Terminal?

How would I go about doing that?

Matt_Johnson
May 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
When i run the hardware drivers program says

NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (verison 173)

NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (verison 96)

NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver ( Verison current ) [Recommended]

I tried running each one of these and it made the computer slower or it messed it up completely

it doesn't seem like its any of these

oldfred
May 17th, 2010, 11:23 PM
If you installed all three they are probably getting in the way of each other. You should completely remove all 3 and just reinstall the recommended one.

Matt_Johnson
May 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM
If you installed all three they are probably getting in the way of each other. You should completely remove all 3 and just reinstall the recommended one.
nooo I used one at a time but the problem is that none of those are the gfx card i have in the pcie slot lol

Matt_Johnson
May 20th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I fixed it by using the hardware driver tool + updating packages thanks :)

Matt_Johnson
May 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM
I keep getting errors everytime I restart saying nvidia x server failed or something then says boot in low graphics mode!