PDA

View Full Version : I've fallen in love with Lubuntu!

hoppipolla
May 17th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Wow it's speedy. I mean WOW O.O

You know, I was kinda close to dropping Linux for now, as I was just finding the normal desktop kinda chugged along a little on this old laptop, I just couldn't get a solid performance out of it. But LXDE is awesome, it's so damn fast and yet looks great too!

I approve!

Hoppi :)

1roxtar
May 17th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I have to agree with you. I'm glad Lubuntu made it into the family of *buntus, albeit unofficially for now. I have it installed on an old Compaq Presario 5000 (256mb RAM, 700mhz Celeron Processor) and it's running pretty snappy. Lubuntu looks good and functions very well. I also tested it on my son's Acer Aspire One netbook and it ran very,VERY fast. Nice Ubuntu, NICE!!!!

:guitar:

armageddon08
May 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Wow it's speedy. I mean WOW O.O

You know, I was kinda close to dropping Linux for now, as I was just finding the normal desktop kinda chugged along a little on this old laptop, I just couldn't get a solid performance out of it. But LXDE is awesome, it's so damn fast and yet looks great too!

I approve!

Hoppi :)

Whatever happened to Kubuntu and KDE4? You still in love with that? ;)

RichardLinx
May 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Whatever happened to Kubuntu and KDE4? You still in love with that? ;)

Lubuntu uses LXDE which is pretty much the exact opposite of KDE4.

... hoppipolla just spat right in KDE4's shiny Qt face. :(

murderslastcrow
May 17th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Hah, try e17. That'll show you what you can get from crap hardware. I can tell you how to do it in Lucid- pretty straightforward if you have 64-bit or 32-bit running. I trust it's not an ARM netbook or iBook.

But yeah, if you WANTED TO, you could run all light applications (some of which are as good as their chunkier counterparts, like PCManFM), and give yourself some extra RAM to utilize for something else. Like more programs running at once.

With Linux, the possibilities are endless. O_O

hoppipolla
May 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Lubuntu uses LXDE which is pretty much the exact opposite of KDE4.

... hoppipolla just spat right in KDE4's shiny Qt face. :(

haha this lil laptop isn't really up to doing KDE4 justice :) And also weirdly LXDE actually reminds me of KDE a little, just the overall appearance and style. It's almost like KDE for computers that could never run KDE lol

And murderslastcrow yeah I did think of Enlightenment, I do think it's awesome. However my niggle with e, flux and openbox is that I'm kinda past the stage now where I want to spend too long setting things up and fiddling with config files! That's why I liked the immediately usable but fast desktop of LXDE. Is there a way to set up Enlightenment quickly, or some way to get something like the OpenGEU desktop from the get go?

And wow OpenGEU does look very pretty these days I must admit O.O Is it good?

EDIT -- Well, I think I worked out why this computer was chugging and slowing down so much... I use Grooveshark to play music and it seems to use the disk and CPU a LOT. It's absolutely wicked, but it eats resources! I dread to think what my RAM usage is currently looking like o.O

Damn you Grooveshark! I could still be on Gnome/KDE if it wasn't for you!!

cannonfodder
May 22nd, 2010, 01:39 AM
I tried an early live CD-only version of Lubuntu based on Karmic awhile back and remember being favourably impressed.

Since then I have tried alphas but have been decidedly less impressed: post-install I can't get past LXDM.

I key in my username, press enter, key in my password, press enter and then I'm prompted for the same info again.

Based on google search results, few people seem to have experienced this issue.

I installed the iso of the recent release on a live USB key using Unetbootin and it worked fine so I finally decided to try a standard PC installation.

The install was slower than most Ubuntu installs and even froze at the very end. After a forced-shutdown, I was nonetheless able to successfully boot into Lubuntu.

I was extremely impressed: with urxvt, leafpad, and Chromium running, I was only using 28% of my 512MBs of RAM and the fonts looked amazing on my LCD monitor.

The latter is usually a disappoint for me in Linux unless I'm using Ubuntu GNOME -- which needs a lot of customizing to run at a half decent speed and without using too many of this machine's resources.

If I remember correctly, I was able to reboot a couple of times but at some point (maybe after making changes to LXDM config file?) Lubuntu stopped loading. It would just cause my monitor to power off.

A forced-shutdown (pressing and holding down the PC's power button until it turned off) was my only resort.

So I tried the intructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp and I was back to a non-functioning display manager.

Based on forum threads I have read, most people are having few problems with Lubuntu and are quite satisfied.

I really want this distro to work for me: its got KMS OOB, boots fast, has great LCD font-rendering, has very little overhead compared to GNOME, PCManFM2 does no more less than a file manager should (detected all my partitions and removable media without a hitch)...

Anybody experience similar issues and/or have work-arounds?

Edit for update:
=====

Looks like some of my problems may have to do with Lucid and older Intel video chipsets (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes).

Lubuntu running perfectly on a newer laptop with a more recent Intel video chipset.

Sporkman
May 22nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
I've just installed Xubuntu 10.04 on my work computer, it's much snappier that the Kubuntu 8.04 it had on it previously.

TheNessus
May 22nd, 2010, 01:59 AM
I find Crunchbang and Lubuntu equally amazing.

Timmer1240
May 22nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
Sounds Interesting for older machines I got Karmic running on my gateway gm5084 and am completely in love with it now was running windows xp media addition bla humbug on that Karmics awesome!Lubuntu sounds very interesting gonna have to give it a spin in a vm!

Shazzam6999
May 22nd, 2010, 03:19 AM
A lot of it is the fact that Ubuntu is fairly clunky. Using an Arch install with KDE I rarely go over using 400mb of RAM and very rarely does my 1.6ghz single core processor go above 70%. Don't get me wrong I love Ubuntu, it just isn't the most resource effecient OS and the DE ports tend to be a lot less efficient.

zoomy942
May 22nd, 2010, 03:41 AM
I'm going to try lubuntu on my netbook this weekend.

hoppipolla
May 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah I must say I found LXDE to be a top-notch environment (I say found in the past tense because I am using Windows again atm mainly for driver support of certain hardware!). I found it to be impressively friendly and easy to set up, despite it's incredibly lightweight footprint. That's a rare balance :)

aiyadzamir
May 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
hi.. lubuntu was nice. i was using it currently on an AMD Duron 850mhz, 64Mb ram (such a low machine).. but its truly running well.. and undoubtly fast.. super-fast.. but, just before that, if you mean you want to install the ubuntu OS in a such old computer, i say go for Hardy Heron. Yes, it need at least 256Mb of ram, but i managed to install it in my computer by making a swap partition of 1Gb. It runs quite well, but not as fast as Lubuntu. I will try install Lucid Lynx over my old PC, but no such guarantee that it will work as nicely as i imagine.

::Figuring if it works... :confused:

Phrea
May 23rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
I used Xubuntu as a basis on a spare box, and installed LXDE [plus a host of others, because it's a sandbox box, and my gf wanted to see different DE/WM's, so it also has IceWM, OpenBox, E17, etc] on it, works really well.
Also tried the official Lubuntu, but it's not officially supported [I know, there's hardly any difference anymore, since it's already accepted by Canonical for 10.10 etc], so I chose to do it this way. Best of both worlds. :)

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
For me, I have to make everything look pretty. Can you customize everything about Lubuntu's appearance. I figured out how to do it on Xubuntu but it was way more effort than Ubuntu.

Edit: Nevermind, I found a video of Lubuntu and the guy showed that it was as easy to change everything as Ubuntu.

Phrea
May 23rd, 2010, 10:20 PM
For me, I have to make everything look pretty.

Have you ever tried Enlightenment [E17]? You'll probably love it ! :D

jimrz
May 24th, 2010, 12:40 AM
have just installed lubuntu 10.04 on my old ThibkPad 600x and it sure seems snappy but I have a couple of questions:

1- I used to use a couple of boot parameters with previous versions

acpi=force pci=noacpi
but now that there is no /boot/grub/menu.lst what config file do I now need to add these to. I used them on the live cd when I used it to install but that did not carry over to the install.

2- what can I use for a battery monitor? gnome-power-manager is running but how can I get it to display on the panel?

thanks - jim

hoppipolla
May 26th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Have you ever tried Enlightenment [E17]? You'll probably love it ! :D

Yeah I agree with you there!

I think the most "showy" DEs are probably KDE and Enlightenment. Followed by.. Ubuntu's spin on Gnome, and LXDE. Then of course you have things like Openbox which can look showy in a techie way if someone puts the time in!