PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Distro Building

xtracool_protik
May 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of building a distro based on Ubuntu over 3 months of summer.
Don't get me wrong it won't be very big community release or anything but something having few packages included/tuned according student requirements in school.
I don't know single thing (except kernel and rootfs building which I do for embedded boards which may or may not be irrelevant) about distro building.
I would appreciate any inputs - maybe links to tutorials or forum discussion if its already out there.

Thanks

davidmohammed
May 16th, 2010, 11:55 PM
various threads around,
I believe this is one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1453699) of the latest

xtracool_protik
May 17th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Hey David thanks a lot,
That looks quite promising.
I still have one week to get started (to finish with my exam :P )

I'll keep updating over here

Regards

-humanaut-
May 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM
You should use Debian as a base to build a system or if you want to learn how to build something good I'd recommend learning Linux from Scratch then take what you learn there and then build a Ubuntu-Based distro.

xtracool_protik
May 17th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks -humanaut-,
I should try that but I think I will take opposite approach - getting something ready with UI tool (say in a week) just to get hang of it and then shift to Linux from scratch.

-humanaut-
May 17th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Installing a base Debian system is a quick way to get the hang of the building blocks so to speak as well Not quite as intensive as L.F.S. but I found it to be easier to work with then the Ubuntu minimal installation CD. The biggest upside to Debian base vs Ubuntu base was because it gives you the option to use the 2.4 kernel if you're wanting to build on older hardware.

xtracool_protik
June 14th, 2010, 03:59 AM
So I tried UCK (Ubuntu Customization kit) for yesterday and today and it worked pretty well, now going to go towards actual builds.
Remastersys didn't work for me -- iso size was too big for backup :( -- I was not going to use it for distro building but was hoping to get backup.
Didn't try anything else for now, will keep posted :)

xtracool_protik
August 25th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Ok
I'm back on the topic.
I successfully created distro (required packages/repositories etc.) Now I've all required packages I need in created distro.
Next step is to manipulate UI (from splash screen to wallpaper everything) or installed packages (changing some info about packages)
Can anyone give some pointer?

P.S. I've used UCK for everything until now

xtracool_protik
August 29th, 2010, 12:44 AM
bump...