PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 1/2 a screen?

camppen2
May 16th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I am trying to install Lucid from cd. The cd is good as I installed it on another computer. When I try to install, it comes up with the desktop filling just 1/4 of the screen. I managed to get 1/2 a desktop by adjusting the monitor but it is the right side of the desktop so I can't see the icons to install Lucid. It won't let me install without starting up first, says there was an error on install if I chose "install Ubuntu" from the boot screen. That shows up normally, filling the whole screen. It did that on the other computer and installed normally from the desktop. Computer is a new build, no overclocking or anything. I have used Ubuntu for several years now and have never seen this! Would like to do a clean install instead of upgrading, usually less problems.
thanks for any help you can give me!

emanuel.b
May 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Is compiz enabled? It's known to cause problems like that...

camppen2
May 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Yes it is on 9.10 which is installed. Would that effect a new installation?

emanuel.b
May 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
In my experience, compiz is enabled by default when booting from the cd. Try getting into the "Change Desktop Background" dialog and turning it off.

camppen2
May 16th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Turned off compiz but it still does the same thing. Is there a way to install from terminal?

cgroza
May 16th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Try an alternate CD install and see if it works...

camppen2
May 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Ok, I'll download one now. Guess the only other alternative is to upgrade.

camppen2
May 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Solved it sort of. Installed from the alternate but got the same thing, 1/2 a screen. Tried changing the resolution but got locked out of my monitor. Went to the onboard video (that I didn't think would work because it is ATI) and it worked perfect! At some point I might try using the Nvidia utility but right now everything works so I will let it be.
Thanks for the help!