PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 install hangs at splash screen

mclarenracer
May 16th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Im installing 10.04 onto an older tower with xp (working fine) and i can get to the splash screen. After that the signal cuts out on my tv, and i cant do anything more. Im looking to do a clean install, no dual boot, straight up.

Ive looked through the forums and couldnt find anything pertaining to my problem. if there is, id appreciate the link. If not, some help would be great.

emanuel.b
May 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM
TV you say? Try plugging it into a monitor. It sounds like a graphics card problem...

mclarenracer
May 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
(smacks forehead) Thanks. Now what can i do to make it run on the tv? Xp worked just fine, why wouldnt it be able to adjust?

emanuel.b
May 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM
You'll want to check if you have the restricted graphic drivers. However there may not be one available, because ATI dropped support for the older graphics cards.

mclarenracer
May 16th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I dont have a gpu. its an integrated chip. do i still need to check?

davidmohammed
May 16th, 2010, 11:26 PM
what's the integrated chip? If its an intel i8xxx then there are plenty of threads around as to what need to add to your grub to get it working.

emanuel.b
May 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I dont have a gpu. its an integrated chip. do i still need to check?

Oh, whoops! Got you confused with someone else! ](*,) But either way, I'd still check for the drivers. It would include the libraries to utilize the TV port.

mclarenracer
May 16th, 2010, 11:34 PM
mmm sorry dont know how to check that. specs just say integrated graphics. its a hp pavillion a1606.

Chipset

Intel 945G

Motherboard

* Manufacturer: Asus
* Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
* HP/Compaq motherboard name: Leucite3-GL8E

Thanks for all the help.

emanuel.b
May 16th, 2010, 11:37 PM
OK, you're gonna go to "System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers". It'll check for the drivers, and they should appear in the list afterward if they are needed.

davidmohammed
May 16th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I would recommend you investigate booting with either

i915.modeset=0 or
i915.modeset=1 in your grub

(when rebooting press shift to display grub, followed by e to edit. Add the above before "quiet splash") and then boot as instructed.

mclarenracer
May 16th, 2010, 11:49 PM
OK, you're gonna go to "System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers". It'll check for the drivers, and they should appear in the list afterward if they are needed.

When i checked it said "no proprietary drivers found." If i connect to the internet will it find the driver i need perhaps?

I would recommend you investigate booting with either

i915.modeset=0 or
i915.modeset=1 in your grub

(when rebooting press shift to display grub, followed by e to edit. Add the above before "quiet splash") and then boot as instructed.

I put in i915.modeset=0 and im gonna test it.

mclarenracer
May 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Works great. Thank you very much.

davidmohammed
May 16th, 2010, 11:56 PM
good news. please mark the thread as solved.