PDA

View Full Version : Usable dual monitoring solution?

aerials
March 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
I'm currently helping out at my old company and I'm getting quite used to that second monitor that has become standard there. Sadly it's windows 2000, but one can't always win ;)

Anyway, I'm thinking about a second monitor for home use now and I'm not really shure what's the way to go there and what even can be done with linux.

On windows the way it's configured at work, the whole Desktop just gets streched over 2 screens, but with the taskbar only on the first screen. Maximized windows just maximize within their current screen, not the whole stretched thing. That's kind of the behaviour I would like to reproduce here, being able to work/surf/chat on screen on while whatching a movie on screen two for example. I do not want two different gnome sessions, as that seems to be what some people understand under dual monitoring.

Is dual monitoring possible the way I described it? What are the limitions?
Can I have two different resolutions on the two screens? Because I can't really afford another 21" lcd... Cool thing would be a 17 or 19" lcd turned 90 degrees, so I can have 1:1 scaled a4 page on screen :D

That's the dreaming, now the reality: I have a thinkpad t43p, graphics card is an ati mobility firegl v3200 which I run with the fglrx drivers, since I can't get to work the dvi output uf my dockingstation otherwise.

(Hope the post is right in the off topic area, because I'm mainly looking for meanings/experiences and it's not really Breezy/Dapper related anyway)

Thanks for any input :)

IYY
March 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
I am not sure whether or not you can use different resolutions, but you can certainly set up a dual display using Xinerama (you will have to manually edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but it's not difficult at all).

curuxz
March 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
Anything is possible with linux, personaly I use gnome with 3 monitors, over 3 diffrent graphics cards (tho with the cards I have installed its possible to go to 5 screens). I have one gnome sesson that stretches over all the screens. Personlay I dont have a taskbar in the traditional sense but its easy enough to do :)

If you need help I would look in the hardware section of the forum or the wiki :)