PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Execute a command when power supply is disconnected?

dementic
May 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Is there a way to do that since the computer and OS is aware that the power supply is disconnected.

quadproc
May 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Is there a way to do that since the computer and OS is aware that the power supply is disconnected.
It is possible to execute an epilog procedure as a result of a power failure if you have a UPS that can signal the computer when a power loss occurs and if you are running a daemon which watches for the power fail signal. The daemon can then invoke code of your choice.

If you have a very quick executing epilog procedure then you might be able to execute it during the holdup time of the computer's power supply. I would not attempt this without a real time operating system.

quadproc

dementic
May 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I was thinking a laptop power supply. That means when the computer switches on battery. Maybe I didn't explained well. Thank you for your answer.

Because I have the problem of hard disk head loading/unloading too frequently when on battery. The hdparm -B passes from 254 to 128 once the cable is disconnected. So I want to execute the command:

(sudo) hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda when the charger is disconnected.

StuartN
May 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM

GKrellM should hook into all that signalling and allow you to run standard procedures or custom scripts: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

dementic
May 16th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I was wondering is there was a file with predefined actions like for suspend or hibernate, or maybe a smaller daemon than GKrellM to keep a light system.

dementic
May 17th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Ok I made a script with the help of acpi -a which gives the power status if someone need it :

#!/bin/sh
while [ 1 ]; do
dfds=$(acpi -a)
if [ "$dfds" = "Adapter 0: off-line" ]; then
{
hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
}
fi
sleep 10
done

Thanks

rmartin16