PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Flashy 3D dock bar utilities for ubuntu, anyone any ideas?

Nightstrike2009
May 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hello

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 an I am looking for an attractive dockbar type program. I am running "Gnome-Do" at the moment in "Docky" mode it has fast program switching and predictive application additions, and supports drag & drop of utility icons to dock bar but lacks a decent 3D look.

I have tried "Avant Window Navigator" in the past this looks good in 3D but seems to reliant on docklets and has no drag & drop for additional shortcuts.

I had tried "cairo-dock" and couldn't get it to work correctly. I like the look of "Unity" but haven't tried yet.

I am seeking a visually attractive dockbar, with drag and drop utility support, for the bottom part of my screen (or maybe the left side) any ideas guys & gals? :-)

Nightstrike2009
May 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
LOL take that as a NO then? Think I'll stick with "gnome-do" and "Docky" mode in preferences then. Apparently "Unity" is pre-alpha and far from finished.

kerry_s
May 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
well cairo-dock is the most flashy, but a pain to set up.
but like you said:

I had tried "cairo-dock" and couldn't get it to work correctly.

which leaves me wondering what do you actually mean?

i've had less problems with cairo-dock, then all the others, i selected it for it's features not the flash, so i have most of the fancy stuff turned off. dock is set fully transparent, i use sub-docks to organize the most used things.

also i'm running openbox, pcmanfm for the desktop, no other toolbars/panels, only cairo-dock & it's desklets. very little waisted resources.

Nightstrike2009
May 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM
By Kerry_S:which leaves me wondering what do you actually mean?

I couldn't get it to work at all on 9.04 just got some random errors, I use "Docky" (or "Gnome-Do" "Docky" mode under preferences to be precise) now as it seems easiest to use and has great features. :-)

Arla
May 25th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I like AWN, seems to work well, not sure about drag and drop functionality, but I know if I run a program (and have it showing active programs on the dock) I can then right click the program and select "add runner" or something like that (can't recall the exact words, but it allows me to add it as a program I can then run from the dock).

jamoncillo
June 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM
docky here, too. first one I tried, worked out of the box altough it crashes once in a while