PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu on Zotac Zbox with Atom 510 and Next Gen Ion...Suggestions?

Doctor_Gonzo
May 16th, 2010, 06:36 PM
So I just ordered the ZOTAC ZBOX HD-ID11 ION2 Atom D510 System, and will be getting it wednesday...As I didn't order an OS I'm gonna throw Linux on it, preferably Ubuntu.

What I'm wondering is which would be the best edition for this system? Ubuntu, Studio, UNE?

I'm going to be using it as a media center connected to my big *** flatscreen, but was considering throwing wine on it as well for occasional light gaming.

Has anyone put set one of these up yet and if so, what was your experience?

I'm open for suggestions!

mistichu
May 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
go with studio for media or you could just choose ubuntu and install everything needed to do it ,

my estimated time on setting that up would be maybe 45 mins cause everything on studio is in the repo and you could search the cache for stuff to add there are some programs /frameworks for media center esque stuff

apt-cache search media
apt-cache search media center

should show you a bunch of results

Doctor_Gonzo
May 16th, 2010, 07:28 PM
32 or 64 bit?

movieman
May 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM
There's no good reason not to go 64-bit unless perhaps you're only going to install 1GB of RAM.

I have a Zotac Ion-1 board for my MythTV frontend and it runs standard Ubuntu with xbmc as the media player software. If I'd been intending to use the MythTV frontend I'd have installed Mythbuntu to ensure the same versions of MythTV were on both systems.

The Ion-1 plays pretty much all my video files perfectly with VDPAU acceleration, but it does struggle with some of my 1080i MPEG-2 files for some reason. I'd presume the Ion-2 would manage that OK since it's significantly more powerful.

mistichu
May 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM
There's no good reason not to go 64-bit unless perhaps you're only going to install 1GB of RAM.

I have a Zotac Ion-1 board for my MythTV frontend and it runs standard Ubuntu with xbmc as the media player software. If I'd been intending to use the MythTV frontend I'd have installed Mythbuntu to ensure the same versions of MythTV were on both systems.

The Ion-1 plays pretty much all my video files perfectly with VDPAU acceleration, but it does struggle with some of my 1080i MPEG-2 files for some reason. I'd presume the Ion-2 would manage that OK since it's significantly more powerful.
how many slots for memory are there ? if theres two i would just pop 2 2gigs in if thats possible if not i would still go with 64 bit just because 64 bit can handle more memory and you can upgrade. that is if your processor is 64 bit other wise youll have to choose 32 bit the only difference is that 64 bit can process more data :)

oh and movie man 32 bit can handle 2gigs of ram at a time anything else is ignored

movieman
May 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
oh and movie man 32 bit can handle 2gigs of ram at a time anything else is ignored

32-bit can handle up to 4GB without PAE and I think 128GB with PAE; but 64-bit code does typically use a few percent more memory due to larger pointer sizes, and with only 1GB of RAM you need all the help you can get these days :).

My frontend is running 64-bit, but it has 4GB of RAM (though only about 3.2GB are visible in Linux).

mistichu
May 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
32-bit can handle up to 4GB without PAE and I think 128GB with PAE; but 64-bit code does typically use a few percent more memory due to larger pointer sizes, and with only 1GB of RAM you need all the help you can get these days :).

My frontend is running 64-bit, but it has 4GB of RAM (though only about 3.2GB are visible in Linux).
lol that is weird thx 4 info but srsly is it os limitations then ? xp only recongnizes 2gigs on 32 bit as far as i know and ubi will recongnize more i know but lol it doesnt matter

op just do whatever you feels best that your computer will handle:guitar: