PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] laptop won't turn on after upgrade to lucid lynx...

KruSuPhy
May 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I had ubuntu 9.10, and every time i turned on my computer it would prompt me to upgrade, so finally i did.
I let it upgrade over last night, then finished it this morning. when it went to restart, it turned off fine, but when it came back on, the screen goes through the Gateway first thing where it shows like F10 for boot from etc, and then the screen goes to a black command line looking screen, then it says ubuntu for a second, and then the screen goes black and does nothing. i let it sit for about an hour to see if it was just running slow, but it was still black when i checked it, so now my laptop is useless until i figure something out. i'm on my friends computer. can anyone help?

KruSuPhy
May 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
can someone please help? i dont mean to sound like im rushing anyone, but i won't have a computer to use if i don't get this fixed or know how to fix it in about an hour

PabloTempe
May 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'm in the same boat. It looks as if many machines behave the same way. I'm thinking that 10.04 is just not going to work on this particular laptop (HP ze4900), especially because the "Live CD" does the same thing. I REALLY should have checked the CD first, but v9.10 worked so well, I didn't worry.

Now, I'm going to try to boot with the laptop Hard Drive in ANOTHER laptop (an IBM T30) since I want to retrieve my evolution mail at least. Well, I'm a bit older and a LOT wiser today!

PabloTempe
May 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM
An update for you:

I was able to boot the hard drive in another laptop and backup all the files I needed! So, your upgrade/install probably went fine, but apparently there is some hardware in some machines that won't allow those computers to boot up. I hope there is a revision to 10.04 that covers this problem. It seems to be pretty wide-spread.

Pablo