PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] On clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 Thunderbird 3 hangs on laptop Toshiba Tecra S1

Bootpanic
May 16th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I have a problem with Thunderbird 3 on Ubuntu 10.04.

When starting TB3 the 'mail account setup' box appears but can't type anything inthere... I can close the setup box... the main window is very unresponsive but cosing works also immediately.

I fisrst did upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 having the problem. Thinking the upgrade might have gone wrong I did a complete fresh install on that laptop, even verified the CD with md5sum before installing. After the fresh and clean install the problem remains the same.

The machine having the problem is a Toshiba laptop Tecra S1 with 1GB of RAM.

I do not experience any other problem with Ubuntu 10.04 on that machine, everything else runs like a charm, there also was no error during installation...

I think this problem is related to the Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop because other machines I own don't have problems with TB3.

I find this a very strange problem, don't know where to look.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Patrick

7geez
May 21st, 2010, 12:55 AM
I have the same problem. It says "Determining which messages to index" at the bottom status bar, too.

pajaritoman
May 25th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I too have this problem. The setup went OK. I can get mail from my internet provider. When I try to access files in "Local Folders", I get the infamous "Determining which messages to index" message in the lower left corner. The program just hangs there forever how long I choose to wait. First I tried to access my local folders file on a Buffalo disk storage unit. When that didn't work, I copied the node to the local disk and got the same result when I tried to access the copied local folder.

I am running Thunderbird 3.04 installed on Kubuntu 10.04 on a 64 bit Monarch computer with two AMD processors. The Thunderbird in Kubuntu 8.04 worked well on the same local file.

Al

Bootpanic
May 29th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Can't figure out what is causing this...

Bootpanic
May 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I'm also having the "Determining which messages to index" message while TB hangs forever...

chookgek
June 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Had problem with 'mail account setup' - it showed garbled dialog and hanged.
Turning off visual effects solved problem: System/Preference/Appearance/Visual Effects/None.

Flos Headford
August 24th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Thunderbird 3.0.6 under Ubuntu 10.04 fresh install on AMD64 3200+
hangs at "Determining which messages to index".
I am having lots of problems with this LTS release. Very depressing.
Phil