PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen artifacts on UI, images and films

xenocard
May 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I have strange screen artifacts on my windows and when displaying images. See screenshots as attachments. I didn't manage to take a screenshot of a film that shows what happens, but there are columns of green and black dots vaguely looking like a barcode overlaid on top of the film.

I'm not sure whether it's a hardware or a software issue. Those artifacts disappeared once all of a sudden after I started playing a film with vlc, but then they went back. Changing the theme doesn't have any effect.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 with a Radeon X600 and the open-source ati graphics driver. Compiz is disabled.

Thanks for any help.

byStanderone
May 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
...seems like interference, perhaps the box needs some maintenance, a cleaning perhaps, specially of connection terminals.

xenocard
May 18th, 2010, 06:18 PM
...seems like interference, perhaps the box needs some maintenance, a cleaning perhaps, specially of connection terminals.

Thanks for your answer. I was afraid of that. A laptop is not exactly easy to open and clean. But since it's 4 years old, that might actually be the reason.