PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Strange problem in Xubuntu 10.04 with usb devices...

night-wing
May 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hi there.
I just installed xubuntu 10.04. and noticed a strange problem, which was not in ubuntu 10.04. (gnome). It exists in thunar also as in pcmanfm:

When I plug in an usb drive (harddisc, usb-stick), I can see the content in the file browser. But I can't get deeper, than in the first directory (no deeper levels). When I start thunar or pcmanfm as sudo, I can!
The files or directories, I may copy as sudo to the internal hd are also not to be opened as a normal user.

Does anybody else have this problem and what may I do to make this work as normal?

Regards
nightwing

sedawk
May 17th, 2010, 07:40 AM
What filesystem in on the usb devices?

If it is a extX filesystem, the owner of all directories
might be root and if the "x" flag for "others" is not
set only root is allowed to look inside the directories!

ls -l *
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 _timestamp_ allowed
drwxr-xr-- 2 root root 4096 _timestamp_ forbidden

XubuRoxMySox
May 17th, 2010, 11:03 AM
It's easy enough to do it in PCManFM, though. Just click on Tools > Open Current Folder as Root. Then go as deep as you like within that folder. Thunar is cool, but I always keep PCManFM around for use with external media (backups and such).

Keeping it simple,
Robin

night-wing
May 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
The problem did not occur in ubuntu (gnome). The filesystem on the usb device is fat32 or ntfs - this does not make any difference.

3Miro
May 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have a lot of problems with mount and unmount of UBS drives. What I ended up doing is install nautilus. When it comes to mounting, it handles things better than thunar (once something is mounted, you can easily use thunar).

night-wing
May 17th, 2010, 05:24 PM
But in none of the previous ubuntu releases, I noticed this problem. Seems, that lucid is one more buggy ubuntu...

Jose Catre-Vandis
May 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Try using Compact View, there is an unfixed bug with GTK. You are actually lucky the USB devices work, I had to fix that too by installing and running the hald daemon!

night-wing
May 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hi.
You were right. Compact View does it. But I still need detail view, because I always use it. Is there any way to fix the problem?

XubuRoxMySox
May 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM
If halevt isn't installed, grab it (or try re-installing it). It's supposed to be the bridge between the Hardware Abstraction layer (HAL) and "Events" such as inserting a USB device or CD. Let us know if that fixes anything.

Still learning,
Robin

night-wing
May 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hi.
I'm sorry to say, but the installing of this package (and restart of course) did not change anything...
...only the directories with the german characters ü ö ä ... are not shown with any strange chars instead. But the only view to get into the deeper dirs is still the icon view or the list view - detail view doesn't work...

night-wing
May 24th, 2010, 11:44 AM
bump

Jose Catre-Vandis
May 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Try using Compact View, there is an unfixed bug with GTK. You are actually lucky the USB devices work, I had to fix that too by installing and running the hald daemon!

Todays updates to gtk have fixed the detailed view problem for me :)

night-wing
June 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM
Seems to be solved. Thanks!