PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Upgraded" to Windows 7 and now I can't see GRUB and Lucid

shuukazedojo
May 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hello all. I'm at my wit's end with Windows this morning. I upgraded to Lucid a few days ago. Everything went very smoothly. Then I spent the greater part of Friday and Saturday "upgrading" to Windows 7 from Vista. I chose the "update" option which was only supposed to update to 7 rather than overwrite the entire HD. Now, GRUB doesn't load and I don't see my Linux partition. HOWEVER, it appears as though the partitions are still there! When I look in Winbloze at the HDs, it shows the ******* HD as the partition size I made it when installing Ubuntu.

Any ideas on how to recover the awesomeness that is Ubuntu from this situation? Or do I need to install it fresh?

BTW, I DID backup my home folder :D.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darkod
May 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Don't worry, win7 just overwrote grub2 on the MBR. Look here how to reinstall grub1/grub2:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

But be careful. Since you did upgrade to 10.4, it depends whether you need grub1 or grub2. If your previous install was clean install of 9.10, it started shipping with grub2. So you have to use a 9.10 or 10.04 cd and reinstall grub2 as per those instructions.

Of you originally had a clean install of 9.04 or earlier, and then upgrade to 9.10 and later to 10.04, grub1 stays the same unless you specifically upgrade it too.

So use the instructions from that link depending what you are using.

shuukazedojo
May 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Perfect! Worked like a charm!

No more ******* for this guy. If I need to dual boot anything after this, I'm going to have to try OS X.

Thank you again for the help. I truly do appreciate it!!!