PDA

View Full Version : is penumbra too scary ?

madjr
May 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM
playing it at 3 am was not so good idea, now am scared of playing it :O

here's a glimpse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWcmA_S8Ymg

reactions :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e5l_PSZJeo&feature=related

mussttt have courageeee, haalp :S

amauk
May 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I found the first penumbra game seriously scary
the first time you encounter a dog...

haven't got very far with the sequel

dearingj
May 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I love the Penumbra games because they're so scary :)

3rdalbum
May 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I played the demo for Overture, and didn't find it scary. But then, I didn't get past the first dog either; it mauled me and I didn't feel like playing through the whole thing again.

marshmallow1304
May 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I played the demo for Overture, and didn't find it scary. But then, I didn't get past the first dog either; it mauled me and I didn't feel like playing through the whole thing again.

I think the dog mauls you automatically to end the demo; the encounter with it is in a different place in the full game.

In any case, the dog killed me in my first session and I haven't been brave enough to try again. I don't know if I'll ever get to the sequels at this rate.

Viva
May 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I started playing it, but after some time I started having headache and had a bad feeling in my stomach.

madjr
May 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I started playing it, but after some time I started having headache and had a bad feeling in my stomach.

lol

DeadSuperHero
May 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM

I've had the same thing. There's just something really disturbing about the atmosphere of this game. I need to play through it, but it really does creep me out.

Excedio
May 16th, 2010, 06:31 PM

I've had the same thing. There's just something really disturbing about the atmosphere of this game. I need to play through it, but it really does creep me out.

Personally, I think this is what makes the game so freaking awesome! :-D

themusicalduck
May 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
That game terrified me in more of a way than I think I realised.

At a point when I was playing, around half way through the second game, I had a nightmare the night afterwards about being chased by some grey alien. I was holding a door closed with it behind it, and it looked very much like the penumbra setting/characters.. Felt very realistic and it woke me up feeling pretty scared.

I still played through all three games :D They certainly did a good job at the atmosphere and at scaring people.

I've preordered amnesia too.

gnomeuser
May 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, and Penumbra captures the spirit of a good Call of Cthulhu session. The hints of what is to come and the awful reality of it being worse.

Penumbra is great but definitely not a childrens game.

jetsam
May 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Change the soundtrack! Turn the game music off and play your own cd!

...er. Or just be scared.

It's just a game.

MasterNetra
May 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM

It's just a game.

Indeed, you say its just a game but when your playing such games they can trick your mind into believing its real despite consciously knowing otherwise. The rest of our mind doesn't know any better. Gaming isn't something our species developed millions of years with after all. So its easy for the rest of your mind to treat it like a real life situation for the time your playing it. But yea obviously if you don't like scary games then don't get or play them. Some I think like them because they like the adrenaline rush or they just enjoy fear itself.

kellemes
May 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Last week I bought the Humble Indie Bundle (http://www.wolfire.com/humble) (event just closed) including Penumbra: Overture..

Seriously trying to kill the dog, they tell me I can use the hammer but the dog isn't impressed by my clumsy swing.
Need some practice and luck I guess.

themusicalduck
May 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Last week I bought the Humble Indie Bundle (http://www.wolfire.com/humble) (event just closed) including Penumbra: Overture..

Seriously trying to kill the dog, they tell me I can use the hammer but the dog isn't impressed by my clumsy swing.

When I first played I tried to kill the dog, but eventually realised it's easier to just try and avoid it by hiding behind crates and such. Also if you do need to kill it, then throwing the little propane tanks at them helps as it stuns them. Or by hitting the propane tank so that they start leaking and then throwing it at them can sometimes do a fair bit of damage, but it's hard to time it.

If you can avoid fighting it then I found it's often easier that way.

Crunchy the Headcrab
May 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM
When I first played I tried to kill the dog, but eventually realised it's easier to just try and avoid it by hiding behind crates and such. Also if you do need to kill it, then throwing the little propane tanks at them helps as it stuns them. Or by hitting the propane tank so that they start leaking and then throwing it at them can sometimes do a fair bit of damage, but it's hard to time it.

If you can avoid fighting it then I found it's often easier that way.
I find that it's easy to kill them if you crouch while you are swinging the pick at them. It makes it pretty hard to miss. Also you have to time your swings just right, so that it doesn't run away and call for help from other dogs. Throwing stuff at them is definitely the easiest way to kill them though. Don't forget you can use beef jerky to lure them somewhere.

madjr
May 17th, 2010, 01:55 AM

get a rock and get on top of a box, then swing it at the dog (hit R once for better movement)

if he goes away start making noise and turn on your glow/flashlight so that he sees you, comes back and beat him up again.

hmm if the first one was good i wonder how good are the other penumbras and the upcoming amnesia should be wicked

if anyone wants the collection i still think is up for $5 with the coupon from the humble bundle, they could suspend it anytime now

darco
May 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Never played this game but I remember playing Doom3 purposely in the dark and it was way funner!

johnb820
May 17th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Amnesia: The Dark Descent looks just as scary as penumbra. I can't wait to play it in a dark room with loud speakers.

gnomeuser
May 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM

It's just a game.

Penumbra + Songsmith.. I can see YouTube going red hot already.

madjr
May 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Never played this game but I remember playing Doom3 purposely in the dark and it was way funner!

the purpose of penumbra is to use your smarts and Stealth to survive while discovering what the heck is going on, keeping you at suspense all the time.

plus is all about the physics and interaction

similar to real situation you're not going to find A PLasma Cannon or some big Whoopa** machine guns just laying around

I find P more frightening than D3 or Res Evil combines :D

Anyway, i just remember that i never finished D3, am going to go at it later

julio_cortez
May 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I find P more frightening than D3 or Res Evil combines :D
I remember playing Resident Evil 2 (the Leon part) at night, at a friend of mine whose computer could barely run Windows 95 (so it really took ages to open every single door).
Probably, the most thrilling gaming experience I ever had.
I haven't tried Doom 3 yet though I've got it at home still in its package: I guess I bought it just because I enjoyed D and D2 so much and I wanted D3 so bad at that time..

donkyhotay
May 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
If you don't like scary, penumbra isn't for you. It's a great game and has some pretty scary parts (if you think the first time you meet the dog is bad wait until you meet the worm). It also has some really *disturbing* parts to it as well, especially the whole thing with red at the end.

Grenage
May 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Penumbra scared the living crap out of me, and I didn't even get to see any monsters.

I used to think I was a tough guy, but Penumbra made me realise I'm actually a little girl.

undecim
May 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I love it. It's like playing a horror movie.

I remember that I had reached the area with Shaft 12 and 13 and the refinery, had killed two dogs, and was looking at a map next to a dead end and heard a growl form the dog on the other side of the wall and jumped and almost knocked my laptop off the small table it was on.

After playing, I always watch some videos on YouTube or Cracked to lighten my mood so I don't get nightmares.

madjr
May 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I love it. It's like playing a horror movie.

I remember that I had reached the area with Shaft 12 and 13 and the refinery, had killed two dogs, and was looking at a map next to a dead end and heard a growl form the dog on the other side of the wall and jumped and almost knocked my laptop off the small table it was on.

After playing, I always watch some videos on YouTube or Cracked to lighten my mood so I don't get nightmares.

actually horror games/movies can be a good training to fight off anxiety/fear and get some courage in real life situations. Just try to keep your calm.

they're like vitamins: good 4 ya

if you're afraid of a game, then that's exactly the one you need to play.

the higher the terror the better Muahahha

bruce2000
May 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
im almost sold.. would like to play it on a ps2 so it's on tv

games on my desktop pc are not the same

undecim
May 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'm starting to hear those dog growls IRL now.

Frak
May 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Not really. It just doesn't phase me.