PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] My Ubuntu 10.04 Boot CD will not boot

surelock22
May 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I'm getting frustrated.

My hard drive was on the fritz, so I replaced it after I tried installing it through my old Ubuntu OS.

I burned the amd64 version onto a CD-Rom, than after that didn't work, a DVD, and the CDs just don't boot. I've gone through BIOS and changed the settings, and it sees the CDROM drive and it gives me the error PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM BOOT DISK. I press enter, and nothing.

I'm using Nero to burn the discs, and the .iso's are copied onto the disk as a data CD.

Oh, all the disc burning I'm doing from a Windows XP machine with a brand spanking new external DVD Burner. So it isn't the burner.

I don't think flashing the BIOS is needed, and is dangerous. I have a GA 965P S3 motherboard (don't know the version).

Please help. I need my Ubuntu machine back!!!

mbzn
May 16th, 2010, 11:52 AM
The iso is a image of the cd, use the option "burn image to disk". That should get you booting if the cd is the first boot option in the bios. Also don't burn the cd too fast 'cuz faster=more errors, and due to the compression rate of the ubuntu cd every error is major.

Hope this gets you going...

drs305
May 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Here is some guidance on how to burn the CD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Also check out the links within that page on how to do an MD5SUM check to ensure the CD is not corrupted.

hunkgagan
May 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Have you downloaded image from Direct Download, If yes the image may be currupted. Redownload it with Torrent or check the previous iso file with torrents.

Nightstrike2009
May 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
If you wish to burn the .iso image to a cd correctly I reccomend the windows freeware utility "imgburn" I love that program. Sorry I couldn't suggest a Ubuntu alternative version "brassero" perhaps? I don't know of one yet (But thats probably down to my ignorance rather than a lack of utility & the fact I am still a dual-booter for now) :-)

surelock22
May 16th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Well, I'm at work and I can't wait to get home to give the image burns a whirl. Thanks for the info. This site is definitely my most useful site I surf on.