PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu cant find the drives

trollger
May 16th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I have two Sata 3 drives C and D, I have window 7 on C. I am trying to install Ubuntu and duel-boot My problem is when I load into the live disk the file system can only find the 1.8 gigs left on the live CD. If i run the installer it says no root file system is defined please correct this in the partitioning menu.

The problem is that the menu is completely empty:confused:. If I load Gparted in the live CD then it shows nothing at all except a message that says something like no device detected. Obviously the problem is that the installer can't find any were to put Ubuntu. Could windows 7 possibly be the problem?

please give me some help I would like to use Ubuntu!

nmyrick
May 16th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Please see this link for instructions: http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony

What you will need to do is shrink your partition that contains Windows 7 first, with the Windows 7 partitioning tool, then install Ubuntu into the free space.

trollger
May 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I created a new partition with the shrink volume tool (40 gigs) and the same problem is still there ](*,)