PDA

View Full Version : Bad news my friends...

NightwishFan
May 16th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Today before noon a bad electrical wire burned down my house. I lost everything except what was in my travel case, which was my laptop, some dvds and some clothes. I was able to save my pets, but there was too much smoke to find anything else.

alket
May 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I feel sorry for you. I'll hope that you will settle up soon and forget about this.

Sporkman
May 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM
WTF, sorry to hear that!! :(

Glad you saved your pets!

mmix
May 16th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Feel sorry for you.
Earth leakage breaker seems broken..

TheNerdAL
May 16th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Sorry for your loss. At least you still have your pets and laptop and clothes! :D

Hopefully your laptop has Ubuntu on it, lol.

Crunchy the Headcrab
May 16th, 2010, 05:00 AM
That is horrible news! Oh my goodness. I'm sure that you lost a lot of memories, but I hope your insurance will cover most of the damage!

NightwishFan
May 16th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Thank you all, I think I can work it out. It was unexpected though, a shocker. Everyone was home at the time, and the house was filled with smoke before we could even all get out.

chillicampari
May 16th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Oh geeze that's terrible. I'm glad you, everyone in the house and your pets are okay.

armageddon08
May 16th, 2010, 05:07 AM
That's terrible NightwishFan. Hope you and your family are all right and will get through this mess quickly.

KiwiNZ
May 16th, 2010, 05:13 AM
My thoughts are with you. As long as everyone is OK , sticks and mortar can be replace.

Anduu
May 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
My wife and I lost everything in a fire 15 years ago including a pet.

My heart goes out to you.

tgalati4
May 16th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Please give us some details. What happened? Others may learn from this.

lisati
May 16th, 2010, 05:28 AM
My neighbour's house caught fire back in January, so our thoughts go out to you: we wish you well as you recover and your life gets back on track.

McRat
May 16th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Sorry to hear that.

From somebody who has been in the same situation:

If there is anything left, secure it. People can be real jerks.

NightwishFan
May 16th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I am not sure how it started because our home passed inspection. The fire traveled up the walls from the basement. I was actually sleeping and I heard someone saying something about smoke. I saw it behind my dresser and did not even put on my glasses, I moved to put it out. I realized it was coming from the wall, and the smoke was behind me as well. I grabbed my travel pack, by then my bedroom was filled with smoke. I actually began to choke on it because I did not even have time to draw breath, and we stumbled down the stairs and out. Our cats and dog luckily made it out too. Though cat actually was inside the whole duration of the fire and he hid under a shelf. He was found after the fire was put out.

You can see in the picture where it went right through the pocket door and up into my bedroom where the floor collapsed. The most hideous damage was in the basement, where I could not even go to get pictures.

chessnerd
May 16th, 2010, 06:25 AM
The brother of one of my friends recently had his apartment burn up and lost everything. I feel for you.

Phrea
May 16th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Oh <sensored> !
That's my worst fear. :(

You do still have your pets and your laptop. Did your laptop contain most/all of your personal data gathered/created over the years?

Hman242
May 16th, 2010, 06:48 AM
That really sucks man, I wish you the best of luck. Is your insurance going to cover the costs of the damages and where will you being staying until the house is fixed?

ashwinrao
May 16th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you and your family will get through this mess quickly. Well wisher from India.

Elfy
May 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM
My thoughts are with you - hope you get all sorted as soon as you can.

gnomeuser
May 16th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Wow, I am so sad to hear this. Though I take comfort in knowing that you awoke in time to save the family, laptop and kittie.. I guess that makes you the UF Hero of the day?

Now let's do the community thing and help you get back on your feet. What can we do?

murderslastcrow
May 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM
That really bites! I'm so glad you're safe, though. You're one of my favorite people to read, here. I hope things work out for you sooner than later.

MaxIBoy
May 16th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Wow, that sucks. If there's anything any of us can do to help, feel free to ask... my thoughts go out to you and your family.

I'd suggest not going in the house again. If the floor collapsed in some parts, it could be very unstable and dangerous.

NightwishFan
May 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Thank you! Your confidence and support for us is gift enough. Currently we are staying at a motel, but that should not be for more than three days. Our local community offered a lot of support as well, and several people stopped by to help us clean up and board up the windows. Also, one neighbor ordered us pizza secretly. It seems the good outweighs the bad here as well.

pwnst*r
May 16th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Today before noon a bad electrical wire burned down my house. I lost everything except what was in my travel case, which was my laptop, some dvds and some clothes. I was able to save my pets, but there was too much smoke to find anything else.

Glad to hear you're okay.

MichealH
May 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I for one, am sorry to hear of such a loss. I hope you get over this soon. As Kiwi said Relatives and Pets are valuable whilst Bricks and Motar can be replaced along with all your Computers, Servers ect. Please keep us updated.

NightwishFan
May 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I shall. Though currently we are going to salvage what we can. Not much, but there should be something. We got the whole yard cleaned and boarded up the windows on the very day of the fire, were a pretty good crew.

Khakilang
May 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Gosh! Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope your insurance cover all the damages and build your new home again.

CharlesA
May 16th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Sorry to hear about that.

At least possessions can be replaces, lives cannot. :)

The Real Dave
May 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
My thoughts are with you. As long as everyone is OK , sticks and mortar can be replace.

Ya I'll +1 that, you can rebuild a house, though I know the feeling of losing photos and videos, treasured memories.

Still at least everyone's ok.

How did one bad wire burn down your house? Why didn't it just trip a breaker?

EDIT: Nice to hear you live in such a friendly community :D

sxmaxchine
May 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
that must suck, but at least u and your pets are safe and you got your laptop and clothes.

ronnielsen1
May 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm very sorry. This happened to my daughter a couple of years ago. The clothes, furnishings etc can be replaced. Hopefully you didn't lose many irreplacable items like pictures etc.

Berk
May 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Damn.
Glad you all made it out okay, even if your kitty did lose a life under the shelf.
My thoughts go with you as you salvage what you can and move on.

In good news though, if you ever liked the minimalist style, now is a great time to start. ;)

requiredto
May 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
wow thats the last thing i expected on a ubuntu forum
with the bad must come good, hope you win lotto

madjr
May 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Life is a gift

near fatal experience makes you appreciate it like never before. Am sure you already did have appreciation, but not like today.

sorry for your loss

but life recovers fast, we gain more from a "bad" experience than from any other experience. Move forward and never look back!

Swagman
May 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry to hear this but you still have your family & health.

NOW you will find out who your real friends are.

Home & contents insurance... A necessary evil..ftw

Lightstar
May 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Wow very sorry to hear, that totally sucks :(

I'm happy you were able to save your pets :)
the rest can be replaced.

philinux
May 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Glad you're all ok, hope you get back to normal soon.

PartisanEntity
May 16th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Sorry to hear the terrible news, but also glad that you are all safe.

Hopefully you can get back on your feet soon.

dragos240
May 16th, 2010, 12:37 PM
That's awful! I wish we could do something to help!

Timmer1240
May 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Sorry to hear this Glad everyone made it out ok!Life sure deals us some terrible blows at times!But thank god everyones allright!I wish you much better luck in the future things will get better!

gutterslob
May 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Oh man.

My heart goes out to you, my friend.
I'm relieved to hear you're unharmed. I know it'll be tough for a good while, and I wish you the best of luck getting your life back on track.

You've already won the battle by making it out alive. Now go win the war, mate.

nothingspecial
May 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I`m just glad everybody, including the pets, are ok.

This could have been so much worse, considering you were all in at the time.

Good luck.

beeno
May 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM
*hugs*
whatever doesn't kill us only makes us stronger... or so they say.

sorry to hear. ):

whiskeylover
May 16th, 2010, 01:55 PM
That sucks. Glad you're okay. Someone set up a donation page for NightwishFan.

Sporkman
May 16th, 2010, 02:14 PM
So what is your data situation?

Sef
May 16th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Sorry to hear about that, but happy to hear that all, including pets, are ok.

MooPi
May 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hopefully you have good insurance and rebuilding is an option. A good buddy of mine lost his home a day after we returned from a golf trip. His cloths on his back and golf clubs are all that survived the blaze. Today he has a wonderful rebuilt home. I wish this for you. Glad to hear that all got out, that is the best news.

xpod
May 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Glad to hear everyone was ok.
As has already been mentioned material possessions are easily replaceable, loved ones are not.
Neighbours of ours back home in Scotland( (grandmother & visiting grandchildren) were sadly not as fortunate and i`m still as over cautious to this day when it comes to Electrical stuff as i started being the day after that horrible night some 18 years ago.

sports fan Matt
May 16th, 2010, 03:34 PM
As has been stated, I'm glad everyone is ok. Poessions can be replaced, lives cannot.

cprofitt
May 16th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I am glad that you, your family and pets are OK.

Things will be difficult, but they will get better.

themarker0
May 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thank god your alright, hopefully it all turns out well for you.

nowin4me
May 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I am just glad everyone (including pets) are ok, I wish you the very best of luck.

Hope you get back on your feet soon.

Retrograde77
May 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Damn, glad that yer ok.

jetsam
May 16th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Sorry to hear that.

I'd teleport you some coffee or tea if I could, but I can't.

Try to save the hard drives no matter how bad they look, but don't take any stairs I think. Talk to the fire guys, basically. I have no idea what I'm talking about! :confused::confused:

...Except maybe the hard drive part. As long as the platters aren't badly warped or broken, there's hope.

NightwishFan
May 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I migrated everything onto my laptop, most of my data is in music, so I have about 200/300gb worth of stuff only. I am not a vain or spoiled person, but I grabbed my laptop since I could never afford a new one, especially after this happened. Luckily it was packed or I would have left it. Mostly everyone else was out before me, I had to try to keep them from going back in.

Thank you all for the support. It means a lot to me and my family.

jetsam
May 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I had a friend who's house burned down once, and it had a lot of personal repurcussions(sp??) because it was the college room-mate's post college party house.

It sounds like you'll be a lot better off than he was, as his group was still trying to put back together what they lost five years later.

Sounds like you have a cohesive family and you saved your pets and tunes!

I almost feel like dancing. I need to redecorate!

Sorry. That was bad. Insurance... Fewf. I wish you the best, NightwishFan.

You've got a lot of support!

sudoer541
May 17th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I am glad you made it!!!:)
Nice to see you saved your pets.
Do you have insurance for your house?

Frogs Hair
May 17th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I am glad everyone is well.

witeshark17
May 17th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Best wishes on getting back to normal!

dakkar9999
May 17th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Wow! Sorry for your loss. Hope you can put back your life together as soon as possible...

lyall
May 17th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I have been there to and lost every thing over 19 years ago.
My son as 20 months and my daughter as 6 months at the time.

Go to the fire station or Red Cross and have them sign a paper stated the you lost every thing in a fire and take it to Wal-Mart and talk to the manager. He can give to 10% off anything you buy for that day. That is what a Wal-Mart manager told me.

Memories are hard to forget, but we all remember days like that.

Best of luck and best wishes to you and your family

swoll1980
May 17th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Sorry to hear that. Did you have insurance? If that's that's not to personal.

jetsam
May 17th, 2010, 04:38 AM
It may just be too financial... kind of like how a lot of lawyers tell you to clam up on anything pending or uncertain.

I hope I didn't say too much!

Fewf! Insurance! I wish you all the best NightwishFan.

Hman242
May 19th, 2010, 03:16 AM
On the way home today, I passed someone's house that had caught fire. It's only just down the road from where I live.

MichealH
May 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
So what is happening now NightwishFan? Have you claimed insurance?

sdowney717
May 19th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Some home fires can't be easily prevented.
Sometimes rats or animals chew wires and cause fires.
I think it would be good to have a water fire sprinkler system in a house, just like in commercial public buidings. It would not cost much. It would save lives and you would not loose everything.

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
...or even kitties.

wojox
May 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Yikes, sorry to here about that NightwishFan. I hope everything works out for you. It'll take time but I'm sure it will.

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Give us a holler when you get a chance, NightWishFan. Silence is worry-some to the whole gang. Probably I deserve it, as I'm one of the few who asked for it, but you know what they say about collective punishment?
Very little.

Stavro
May 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear this news but at the same time delighted that you managed to save the most important thing; the life of your pets. Wonderful no one got hurt too.

As someone else touched upon; it is true that sticks and stones can be replaced. I will add though, that as time goes by perhaps you will reach a form of catharsis and come to the realisation that you’ve not lost much at all. Maybe you’ll have even greater future memories and an even better home, maybe you’ve shed some things that held you back!? Of course I don’t presume to know anything, I am indeed very sorry... but I do wish you all the best in achieving your future dreams. Life is movement, and movement is life. Keep moving.

Best,

Steve

thekanuk
May 19th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Sorry for your loss :( best wishes for the future...

mickie.kext
May 19th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Omg... this sucks:(.

I wish you well in the future.

exkend
May 19th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Terrible news. Wishing that you find support to tackle what is a very challenging time for you, one step at a time.

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Maybe if we stopped treating the thread as a memorial stone and more as a... hospital bed it would get better.

Hey dude, just checkin' in. Sorry to find you not here. Left this potted plant; you should water it yourself. The instructions are under the pot.

There.

See. Now what does that mean?

Not much, but...
You have a lot of support!

NightwishFan
May 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Yes, thank you all. I am sorry to say I rarely have battery or places I can get wireless, so that is why I have been absent. We were busy saving some possessions and house hunting. We are all fine and healthy, though a rift has formed in my family, and I am leaving them after I get them in a new home.

jetsam
May 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM
That sounds... shocked and awed or something. Keep us posted if you need anything. I hope things work out better than it looks right now.

There's stages of grief. I dislike the pop-psych, so somebody else can take over.

All the best, NWF

NightwishFan
May 20th, 2010, 01:17 AM
They are quite mad at me perhaps because I am so rational.

murderslastcrow
May 20th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Stand your ground, and stay reasonable. If you show respect, at least you know you earned it, whether or not you receive it at the time you wish for it. I hope it works out the best for everyone involved.

thekanuk
May 20th, 2010, 01:28 AM

There will be loads of trauma, the shock can be very difficult to deal with. Not many things in life are as hard to deal with as severe loss...

Once again, all the best to you and your family, stay strong.

Peace.

NightwishFan
May 20th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the advice, I really wish I could patch things, but sadly it is not the case.

CharlesA
May 20th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Best of luck finding a new house. :-)

Irihapeti
May 20th, 2010, 02:50 AM

I've come across that. There's a "proper" way to react, and if you don't...

E.g. The "five stages of grief" are not compulsory. Not everyone does it that way.

NightwishFan
May 20th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I am not quite sure what you are saying.. Thanks though. It should work out. I should be back to supporting free software full steam soon.

ibuclaw
May 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Know exactly how you feel mate. I had a house fire earlier this year that engulfed many of my old family possessions.

Just be thankful it was only materials that you lost, as family can never be replaced.

Best wishes to you.

NightwishFan
May 21st, 2010, 08:39 AM
I will not be on for a while, perhaps ever. My life has taken such a turn for the worse that it is unbelievable. I will leave my account open and not close it, but I do think that I should not post here for now. Thank you for all the support.

-NWF

I would like to say I will miss you all, and I hope that in my time here I was able to help people and perhaps make a difference.

jetsam
May 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Please mark your thread solved.

bapoumba
May 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM
I will not be on for a while, perhaps ever. My life has taken such a turn for the worse that it is unbelievable. I will leave my account open and not close it, but I do think that I should not post here for now. Thank you for all the support.

-NWF

I would like to say I will miss you all, and I hope that in my time here I was able to help people and perhaps make a difference.

Please take all the time you need. We'll happily see you when you come back. The account is safe :)

Rasa1111
May 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM
oh my god. im soo sorry nightwishfan. :(

this is one of my worst fears also.....

i cant even imagine without making myself sick....
jeeeeez.

Im glad you are all ok, physically.
blessings and love from my house/heart to yours. <3

jetsam
May 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM
So happy you're back. If you can come back once...

You can come back again, and as long as your account is still open.

All I can see in your future is a continuation of the stellar path of self discovery you have set yourself upon.

Rick Astley. Never Gonna Give You Up. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

Lessee.

No let's not.

Good night, wish fan.

lisati
May 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Thread closed by request of the OP