PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu 8.04 turned xubuntu

Costas100
May 16th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Hello to all I have a problem with a new installation of 10.04 that is almost funny and unbelievable:
I had a computer with two hard disks and three operating systems installed: Windows XP Home and ArtistX (Ubuntu 8.10 fully loaded over 3 GB live CD) in the same HD plus UBUNTU 9.10 in a separate HD. All were happy sitting site by site except the occasional problems on start up of 9.10. ArtistX was not really what I thought, so I decided to replace it with Ubuntu 10.04. I downloaded an iso for i365 machines, made a live CD and started the installation in the same location where ArtistX was located. Near the end of the installation a screen appeared to advise me that something went wrong and that it will provide me with a desktop in order to try and figure what went wrong. Soon a full startup desktop appeared, I checked left and right and nothing appeared to be wrong. So I proceeded to install. The installation was very smooth and soon I had in front of me the 10.04 desktop. I was excited, I even changed the appearance, added second language, installed new programs and checked most of the installed programs. All were working fine. This was this morning around 11:00 AM
When I reopened my computer this evening, the strangest thing happened. Ubuntu 10.04 was no longer Ubuntu it was Xubuntu and I am not quite sure what version of Xubuntu. It had all the programs previously installed from the live CD plus what I added this morning, I checked some of them and they were working fine except some peculiarities (e.g my second language had disappeared). Also a few items very useful in daily work were not there, such as Computer (where I can access all partitions – the full Places Menu list is not there - System is now under applications and within system (or anywhere else I cannot find how to add second language in my keyboard). The new desktop is lousy and other problems that I did not explore further (it is getting late here – I will check more tomorrow and update with anything new).
Searching through the forum I found a kind of a related issue under http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1477196 where xubuntu was installed and now they wish to change it to 10.04 and I thought maybe I should try this thread in my computer (worst comes to worst I will reinstall), but I cannot find even the terminal, or any other means to make sure that at least this is 10.04 Xubuntu.

Has anyone had a similar strange experience? Should I make anew CD and reinstall? Any suggestions to find the version of Xubuntu? If I follow the above method to change the desktop to ubuntu-desktop will I get back the Places menu and the keyboard under System?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you all

Costas

Costas100
May 16th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I think I solved the problem. I checked inside the Xubuntu menu under System and found an entry for Login Screen. I unlocked the screen and changed to GNOME (This session logs you into GNOME).
Restarted the computer and after a relatively longer wait my original UBUNTU 10.04 appeared.
Thank you UBUNTU, thank you Canonical, thank you all associates for providing to the World this unique operating system.

I am not quite sure what Xfce, xterm and the other entries are suppose to do. I will check it out. I think most of us use only a percenatge of UBUNTU capabilities.

For me this issue is now closed, I hope this may help others.

Costas

Costas100
May 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
The good news did not last long. After working for an hour or so I decided to do a restart in my computer selecting again UBUNTU 10.04. The first thing that happened, I received a screen with this statement and nothing more, would not go further:

[ 12.843335] [drm:rs400_gart_adjust_size] *ERROR* Forcing to 32 M GART size (because of ASIC bug ?)

I restarted (with the computer restart button which I understand is not recommended) and selected the first recovery mode, which took me to a dos (unix) screen asking for commands. I did new restart with ctrl+alt+del.

After a longer wait time, UBUNTU 10.04 in GNOME appeared and this is where I am now writing this message.
I am not sure if this is a problem with my computer or a bug in the program.

I need some expert help and advice.

Thank you all

Costas

Costas100
May 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Two more strange behaviors:

When I last logged off from (Ubuntu 10.04) on my screen for a few seconds the name Xybuntu with the mouse logo appeared for a few seconds.
When I logged in again, the first live screen I received was a Xubuntu empty desktop which stayed there for a few seconds with no applications or anything on the blue background. Then all of a sudden my selected desktop for UBUNTU 10.04 appeared and all was there.

I am just reporting the above just in case it triggers some thoughts on the reason of my problems

UBUNTU is still the greatest of all and I get the feeling that when 10.04 will finally stabilize, I will be able to abandon windows for good.

Thank you all.

Costas

kansasnoob
May 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Just FYI, the reason I skipped over this previously is because of the continuous block of text.

It's hard to read!

But I'll try.

kansasnoob
May 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM
This may or may not be helpful, look at this section in the following link:

Playing Around
KDE/Gnome Comparison
Install KDE
Install XFCE
Pure Gnome
Pure KDE
Pure XFCE

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

Costas100
May 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Thank you kansasnoob, your link has a wealth of information.

I am now tempted to use the “remove Xububtu files” from http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome I suppose the worst case scenario will be to start all over again.

The funny thing is that despite my age (72) I have installed various versions of Ubuntu at least 10 or more times and never had any problems.
I will post again here if I succeed (or fail).

I am not quite sure your reference to: “Just FYI, the reason I skipped over this previously is because of the continuous block of text.” I am assuming you are referring to my first entry, sorry about that, sometimes it is difficult to explain things with short phrases.

Thank you again for your interest.

Costas

Costas100
May 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Just wish to report SUCCESS, at least 99.9% success. I only lost one program I installed yesterday (GIMP) I have it installed in my other UBUNTUs so for now I will not even try to reinstall.

No traces of Xubuntu anymore, but still start up takes much longer than other UBUNTU, but miles faster than windows. I hope it will improve with time.

I will keep this thread open for a day or two, just in case more problems appear.

Thank you kansasnoob

Costas
PS: GIMP was among the deleted items list, I will leave it out.

Costas100
May 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Yesterday all was fine and used the computer for a few hours. All was fine.

This morning I had some new problems which disappeared after a restart. So I am closing this thread as solved and if these new problems persist I will add a new thread.

Once again my THANK YOU to all at UBUNTU.

Costas