PDA

View Full Version : Working 5 hours daily on computer risks insomnia & depression

Sporkman
May 16th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Working 5 hours daily on computer risks insomnia & depression

May 14, 2:17 PM
Sacramento Nutrition Examiner
Anne Hart

A new study has revealed that people who work in front of a computer even just for five hours a day run the risk of mental illness such as depression and insomnia, according to the article, "Continuous Computer Work Causes Insomnia: Study."

The study conducted on 25, 000 people has found that those working for hours in front of the computer complained of feeling depressed, anxious and reluctant to get up for work in the mornings...

http://www.examiner.com/x-7160-Sacramento-Nutrition-Examiner~y2010m5d14-Working-5-hours-daily-on-computer-risks-insomnia--depression

** Note: Did they account for the computers' OS? :D

BoneKracker
May 16th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Yet another failure by so-called scientists to properly analyze cause and effect.

I bet if you took 25,000 people who do ANYTHING that involves sitting immobile in a chair for five hours a day without real human interaction, they'd have the same results.

handy
May 16th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Only a small percentage of the worlds population are happy in their jobs, with their life or the way the world is being run.

That could certainly cause depression & insomnia amongst a variety of other illnesses for quite a few of them.

McRat
May 16th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I just want to know how they got the workers to work 5 hours in a day???!!!

Usually they just work when the boss is looking...

LeifAndersen
May 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Well, I partially agree. I can get depressed if I spend a lot of time in a day on the computer, but if I'm doing something very 'social' for several other hours of my day, I find that they offset each other. In fact, I'll be depressed if I don't use a computer (or something else semi-hermit like), for several hours a day.

TheNerdAL
May 16th, 2010, 02:09 AM
:(

lisati
May 16th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I just want to know how they got the workers to work 5 hours in a day???!!!

Usually they just work when the boss is looking...

Five hours? That all? Things must have changed since I was working full time - my presence was expected for something nearer 7 hours.

Sporkman
May 16th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Well, I partially agree. I can get depressed if I spend a lot of time in a day on the computer, but if I'm doing something very 'social' for several other hours of my day, I find that they offset each other. In fact, I'll be depressed if I don't use a computer (or something else semi-hermit like), for several hours a day.

Internet Use Makes Us Happier, Says Mental-Health Study

By TARA KELLY / LONDON Tara Kelly / London – Sat May 15, 1:55 am ET

When it comes to mental health, the Internet gets a bad rap. There are countless studies that suggest regular access to the Internet is linked to stress, anxiety and addiction. But before you stop tweeting and toss out your iPhone, it turns out that spending time on the Web could actually be making you happier.

A May 12 report by British researchers from the U.K.'s Chartered Institute of IT (known as BCS) have found a link between Internet access and well-being...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599198924400

McRat
May 16th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I can't help but wonder if this relates to news that 33% of internet traffic during working hours is pron (sic) ...
:popcorn:

handy
May 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I can't help but wonder if this relates to news that 33% of internet traffic during working hours is pron (sic) ...
:popcorn:

As I said, a variety of diseases.

Often bought about due to the feelings of emptiness engendered by the paradigms people are born into, of a meaningless existence in a world dominated by consumption by any means possible.

tgalati4
May 16th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Of course 1.15% of those computer users were actually happy to use linux, but were discarded due to "noise" in the data.

johnb820
May 16th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I find when dealing with people for 5 hours I get depressed, stressed, and have high anxiety because I am reminded of such human failure. I prefer the soothing dull pain of disconnection being able to believe in myself and what I am doing.

K.Mandla
May 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hmm. The link page is from 2003, and the published study is from 2007.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Continuous-computer-work-causes-insomnia-Study/articleshow/32764509.cms
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/117872091/abstract

With another study as far back as 2002.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/99017826/abstract

Another victory for modern journalism. :roll: I am so glad I quit the media. ...

MaxIBoy
May 16th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I bet if you took 25,000 people who do ANYTHING that involves sitting immobile in a chair for five hours a day without real human interaction, they'd have the same results.+1

Computer usage is usually much more social and socially rewarding than "acceptable" entertainment like reading. But "working on a computer" is still "working," and as everyone knows, working sucks.

Drenriza
May 16th, 2010, 08:36 AM
that sucks since i work in front of an computer uhmmm lets say 10 hours daily.

handy
May 16th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I very often spend 14hrs or more in front of a computer & it doesn't cause depression.

But I'm doing what I want to do, not what I have to do to make money to live on.

Big difference there.

madjr
May 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
that sucks since i work in front of an computer uhmmm lets say 10 hours daily.

Dont worry, linux users are almost immune :D

we also got a great community, most other users dont :)

giving us a huge positive flow of energy

of course is good to take breaks once in a while

one or 2 hours , then take a break, then come back later, and so on

BoneKracker
May 17th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Dont worry, linux users are almost immune :D

we also got a great community, most other users dont :)

giving us a huge positive flow of energy

of course is good to take breaks once in a while

one or 2 hours , then take a break, then come back later, and so on

I prefer, "half an hour, crack a beer... half an hour, crack a beer, ... etc."