PDA

View Full Version : Making Ubuntu more newuser friendly...

yester64
May 16th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Well, i am using now Suse for a while and one thing about it really liked.
This, i have never seen on Ubuntu and so i thought it might be a good addition for Ubuntu to make installtions easier.

On Suse you have on the forum a 1-Click solution like for restrictive codecs.
It works like this. You click and Yast will open and at a problem give you a couple of options you can do. Like break depentensy or ignore or install.
You answer it by clicking and then it does everything by itself.

Wouldn't that be a nice alternative to the terminal commands?

Where do i put these kind of suggestion anyway?

wilee-nilee
May 16th, 2010, 01:06 AM
This, i have never seen on Ubuntu and so i thought it might be a good addition for Ubuntu to make installations easier.

It works like this. You click and Yast will open and at a problem give you a couple of options you can do. Like break depentensy or ignore or install.

These are issues that has been discussed so many times that the answers why it isn't a usable suggestion are within the forum database.

screaminj3sus
May 16th, 2010, 01:07 AM
by default ubuntu should automatically search for a proper codec when you try to play a file that doesnt have the codec installed.

cariboo
May 16th, 2010, 01:10 AM
You don't need to use the terminal to install any codecs in Ubuntu, go to System->Administration->Synaptic, type ubuntu-restricted-extras in the search box, right click on it in the window and select install, click apply, click apply, and watch the packages install. Installing the restricted extras meta package akso installs flash and java, mscorefonts and most of the codecs needed to play most audio/video media.

3rdalbum
May 16th, 2010, 02:44 AM
This, i have never seen on Ubuntu and so i thought it might be a good addition for Ubuntu to make installtions easier.

Put it into the nearest time machine; Ubuntu already offers to install a restricted codec the first time you try playing such a file, and it has done so since 2007. Your idea is a great idea, but you're a bit late in suggesting it :-)

yester64
May 16th, 2010, 02:52 AM
maybe i suffer from something, but last time i install ubuntu it did not offer me anything. That was 9.10.
I usually did it with the how-to's from the forum.

So perhaps i missed that.. oh well, one of these days i will try ubuntu again :)

btw. that has nothing to do with this. Oh nevermind, i will try irc for that :)

3rdalbum
May 16th, 2010, 03:57 AM
maybe i suffer from something, but last time i install ubuntu it did not offer me anything. That was 9.10.

Your package list needs to be up-to-date. If you didn't have an internet connection running when you installed Ubuntu, then your package list is not up-to-date and you won't get offered any codecs.

Nightstrike2009
May 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM
How about a Ubuntu application like M$ "Scandisk"? I find if you get a memory card from a camera corrupted you have to resort to ******* and run "scandisk" just to fix it (Very Annoying).

I know this not an ubuntu fault (something to do with ******* not using partition tables) but, its very annoying when you have to do it (Even if Virtualized).

ssj6akshat
May 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM
apt:ubuntu-restricted-extras

kio_http
May 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Not sure about Ubuntu, but in Kubuntu Lucid, I get a popup the first time I launch a multimedia app or web-browser asking me to install the extras,, and providing me with a button to install it.

Excedio
May 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM
by default ubuntu should automatically search for a proper codec when you try to play a file that doesnt have the codec installed.

It does this. Rhythmbox for sure.

MasterNetra
May 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM
You don't need to use the terminal to install any codecs in Ubuntu, go to System->Administration->Synaptic, type ubuntu-restricted-extras in the search box, right click on it in the window and select install, click apply, click apply, and watch the packages install. Installing the restricted extras meta package akso installs flash and java, mscorefonts and most of the codecs needed to play most audio/video media.

Indeed only problem is new users most of the time don't know this. I know I didn't when I started. Its something that should be brought to the users attention early on, via software center and possibly Synaptic.

yester64
May 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
mm... thats what i meant, i think.
For all the time i used Ubuntu, i do not recall anything like a button for it. Except for the graphicsdriver.