PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 Distorted Boot Splash

HunterAtUbuntu
May 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Graphics driver is Nvidia 195.36.15. I have 2 monitors. The primary is 1440x900 and the secondary is 1360x768. After installing 10.04 the boot splash's resolution wasn't very good, so I upped it in start up manager from 640x480 to 1024x768.

After my next boot, the splash screen was entirely unrecognizable. I managed to get to the login screen by pressing buttons and changed the resolution back. However, the splash is still a mess.

I can see the Ubuntu logo and blinking dots, but they are extremely pixalized/distorted. There also seems to be some text under it but I can't read it. Also, there are actually two copies showing up side by side.

It will stay at this screen until I hit the right arrow key. Then it'll change to a screen with what looks be text(can't possibly read it) and then to the normal login screen.

So far I've tried reinstalling plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo and sudo dpkg-reconfigure plymouth. Neither seemed to do anything. Any help?

HunterAtUbuntu
May 22nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
Really? Nothing I can do whatsoever to revert back to the low resolution, yet visible, default?

Here's video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1wwiL1vDbM

gsgleason
May 22nd, 2010, 04:06 AM
Try editing /etc/uspash.conf and set it to your native resolution and then sudo update-initramfs and restart.

HunterAtUbuntu
May 22nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
10.04 doesn't use usplash. It uses plymouth =/

CEB2nd
May 22nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
I was having the same problem. Startup manager had added vga= to
some of the Automagic Kernels List lines in menu.lst, removing vga=
from all the lines cured the problem. Always be careful (make a copy beforehand) when editing the menu.lst file, done improperly, it could
make your computer unbootable.

HunterAtUbuntu
May 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I actually just fixed it with this article
http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/lucidubuntu-10-04-high-resolution-plymouth-virtual-terminal-for-atinvidia-cards-with-proprietaryrestricted-driver/

It is now better than ever