PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 to run under linux?

nickle
March 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23878

Edit: there are some more recent references but these are in german...

rejser
March 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
"The Xbox 360 is expected to ship with a 20GB hard drive as standard. It is not expected to be running Linux. "

:)

Paulus
March 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
woah, wouldn't it be awesome if it shipped with dapper +1!! hopefully with XGL goodness. Man that would seriously conflict with microsoft, Sony's got a REAL opportunity to make some dents in the bonnet of the microsoft here...

PapaWiskas
March 22nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

commodore
March 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
woah, wouldn't it be awesome if it shipped with dapper +1!! hopefully with XGL goodness. Man that would seriously conflict with microsoft, Sony's got a REAL opportunity to make some dents in the bonnet of the microsoft here...

Why should a console have a desktop OS?

I think they'll make their own distro with their own interface for it which will probably be non-free software.

Brunellus
March 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23878

Edit: there are some more recent references but these are in german...
Nothing to see here. Linux ran on the PS2 as well, but with a proprietary bootloader.

Sony uses Linux and GNU tools as their development kit: a victory for free software in the enterprise. But Linux for the consumer? not necessarily out of the question, but the response is likely to be--why bother?

Paulus
March 22nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Why should a console have a desktop OS?

well, it seems that the PS3 and the new xbox are not just consoles, they are aiming for much more than that... entire entertainment packages, I don't know if you read the artical, here's a quote:
"
"We're positioning the PS3 as a supercomputer", he says, "But people won't recognize it as a computer unless we call it a computer, so we're going to run an OS on it. In fact, the Cell can run multiple OSes.
"
you'll be able to get keyboard/mouse etc, the ps3 is far from a console by todays standards... thers all kinds of stuff about networking ps3's inside the average home making it a replacement for the desktop p.c.

It is widely accepted that microsoft and sony are competing for the kind of market I just described.

briancurtin
March 22nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
woah, wouldn't it be awesome if it shipped with dapper +1!!
yeah! why not dapper+7 or dapper+19!!!

A. its not happening
B. if it was happening, it wouldnt be shipped with something like dapper+1
C. it makes no sense to ship it with anything linux; dapper, dapper+x, or otherwise. its not a desktop computer

Paulus
March 22nd, 2006, 05:54 PM
I did not expect such a trenchant attack from a mere enlivening statement, though I feel obliged to justify my statement;

From BBC news with reference to the PS3:

"These machines are a key part of a campaign to dominate how people watch films or listen to music at home."

"This is a system to be placed in the centre of the living room around the world," said Ken Kutaragi, head of Sony's game unit, at a news conference in Los Angeles

I don't think what I said, though utopian adminttadly is entirely unjustified, Sony are, after all seeking to dominate the living room.

Having said all this I apologise for my enthusiastic responce, I guess not everyone can tell the tone of my light-hearted thought simply through text!

Brunellus
March 22nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
This is Sony we're talking about. you know, the rootkits-on-music-CD people. The people who push hard for DRM controls.

You're not going to get a sympathetic hearing from this crowd if you mention sony at all.

nickle
March 22nd, 2006, 07:38 PM
If linux were indeed to become the OS for PS3, this might have some nice knock-one effects:

It would make the OS more popular
It would rid the OS of its "geek auora"
It would create pressure to develop more multimedia applications and in particular force hard-ware companies to provide dedicated driver support
It might encourgare developers to write games for linuxOf course nobody is under the illusion that Sony are doing this out of altruism. It is all about developing marketing position distinct from MS. But hey who cares... All in all it canonly be good for linux if it does happen....

tseliot
March 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
C. it makes no sense to ship it with anything linux; dapper, dapper+x, or otherwise. its not a desktop computer

Kutaragi said the Playstation 3 will function also as a home server (it was also written on one of his slides).

commodore
March 23rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
I heard it's friggin hard to write games for Playstation 3 because of the new cell processor. People will probably think that because it's hard to make games for Playstation it's hard to make games for Linux. But if they will see how good Playstation 3 games are they will think all Linux games are like this :D

Zeroangel
March 23rd, 2006, 10:22 AM
That's what they said about the PS2 emotion engine, incredibly hard to write games on; because of the convoluted architecture of it. But it was done.

If there is one thing I expect the PS3 to have, it is an optical drive that will last no more then 3 years. That seems to be the shelf-life of sony optical drives these days.

rbenchley
April 3rd, 2006, 10:58 PM
This is Sony we're talking about. you know, the rootkits-on-music-CD people. The people who push hard for DRM controls.

You're not going to get a sympathetic hearing from this crowd if you mention sony at all.

Although Sony does many evil and stupid things, it's not really fair to take it out on the Playstation division. Sony is a monsterously huge corporation with many divisions. Some of the divisions are cool and some of the divisions try to ruin your computer. ;-) The Playstation has always been fairly consumer friendly with an official Linux distribution, Net Yaroze, free online gaming, etc. I don't buy Sony music CDs, Betamax tapes, Memory Sticks, or Mini Discs which are examples of Sony at their worst, but I've always been pleased with the Playstation division and it's offerings.

BWF89
April 3rd, 2006, 11:27 PM
I think this is great. The more people useing Linux the better. Putting a Linux box in the living room of tens of millions of people will help us by leaps and bounds.

Brunellus
April 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Although Sony does many evil and stupid things, it's not really fair to take it out on the Playstation division. Sony is a monsterously huge corporation with many divisions. Some of the divisions are cool and some of the divisions try to ruin your computer. ;-) The Playstation has always been fairly consumer friendly with an official Linux distribution, Net Yaroze, free online gaming, etc. I don't buy Sony music CDs, Betamax tapes, Memory Sticks, or Mini Discs which are examples of Sony at their worst, but I've always been pleased with the Playstation division and it's offerings.
the "good" division subsidizes the "bad" division. Teach them both a lesson and starve 'em both.

mrgnash
April 4th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Not really interested in the games so far - MGS, DMC and other tired hacks are their big draw-cards? Sorry I'll pass. - but if it does come loaded with a non-crippled version of Linux, it could make for an extremely powerful and relatively inexpensive PC :)