PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation question

Atrum
May 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hello i am wondering that if i install ubuntu as my os, will my current files be backed up to a directory like when installing a new version of windows, or would i need to back them up externally before hand.

edit: New question, how much ram does 32bit ubuntu support upto, and which would be better for me out of 32bit + 64bit? I have 4gb of ram and a dual core 2ghz processor.

Rich930
May 15th, 2010, 09:17 PM
You would need to back them up. :)

Atrum
May 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
ok cheers for clearing that up.

darkod
May 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
When installing windows it also destroys your data on the system partition because usually it is formatted during the installation. If you do upgrade, the files remain.

It's the same with ubuntu. Clean install overwrites the partition, upgrade doesn't. However, sometimes even upgrades fail so having a backup before starting is recommended.

Atrum
May 15th, 2010, 10:51 PM
bump, new question.

darkod
May 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
32bit OSs support more or less around 3.5GB memory. Don't know the exact number but definitely it will not use all of your 4GB.

I'm not sure what happens if you have integrated graphics because that slices part of the ram too. The rest might be fully used even by 32bit system. However, it's better going with 64bit I guess. That way even if you add ram later, no problem.